Hi, I am building a new computer but don't want to buy windows again. Will my already downloaded windows 10 mess up on the har

Xuebao61

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Your new hardware may cause Windows to stop activating, since Windows 10 uses the CPU and motherboard to identify. But, I switched over from AMD to Intel, and got a new motherboard of course, and my windows 10 installation still activated without a hitch. If it does stop activating, you can call Microsoft, and they will check your product key, and most likely go through the process to issue you a new key free of charge. I've had to do this once recently when upgrading an AIO, took about 45-60 minutes, but there was an issue with getting my new key on their end, so the normal time could be shorter.

Charles_44

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
I have had this issue before, as long as you do not have windows installed on your old computer anymore this should be “okay”. Once you are on your new computer it will probable tell you to call a number and display about 16 numbers/characters on your screen. When this happened to me all I had to do was tell the rep on the phone the numbers and they gave me the key (a bunch of number) to resolve this issue. If you took the hard drive out of your other computer for this computer (or uninstalled Windows), you shouldn’t have to buy windows again.