Question Hi I have a new machine with Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra rev. 1.2 motherboard I would like to know if I can stop the chipset fan from spinning? For

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
Hi

I have a new machine with Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra rev. 1.2 motherboard

I would like to know if I can stop the chipset fan from spinning?

For over 10 years I have been using totally passive PSUs and for over I have been using 15 high-end fans with dBA value below 12. The fan that this company had provided with this motherboard is making an unacceptable noise for me

Can I dismount it? Are there quieter versions of chipset fans available? Or can I just stop it [how?] and leave it as it is - or will I have to play it safe and put an third party fan on top of the radiator that is covering that noisy piece of junk?

And why is it that for so many years the fans on chipsets were a noisy thing of a past - and yet somehow they have come back?

there should be an option in the Gigabyte motherboard control software to manually adjust the speeds, not sure what they use for fan control etc anymore.
with other manufacturer's boards this option usually isn't listed with other regular PWM fan control options for some reason.
though possibly this control option could be in the BIOS.

if you determine that there is no option, even hidden in the settings somewhere;
they are usually attached to the motherboard via a very small 2pin header under the heatsink that can be unplugged.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
Yes

The BIOS allows for reducing the RPM value - but not for turning it completely. But the software for operating system [System Information Viewer] does not even see this fan at all

As for detachment of power - I would need to screw off the cover first

For now I have written a message to GIGYBYTE concerning this, sometime ago now- and still awaiting an answer

do you have the latest motherboard control software from Gigabyte?
would be available from their product support downloads page.

it would include RGB port, fan header, and other system control options from within the OS.
if they offer further control for this chipset\VRM fan, it should be there.

Might have a faulty fan because I have built a lot of systems now with chipset fan and none of them are even hearable. The one on my X570 Aorus Elite is not spinning 90% of the time and when it does it's totally silent.

If it spins at max and makes a lot of noise it must be very hot in your room.

BIOS fan control lets you change the curve of the chipset fan.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
Might have a faulty fan because I have built a lot of systems now with chipset fan and none of them are even hearable. The one on my X570 Aorus Elite is not spinning 90% of the time and when it does it's totally silent.
I value your help - but I must dissuade approach like yours

Do you know how good of the hearing sense you have? No? Then your info is useless. [I know mine- it is above normal for people my age plus I have some sort of psychological oversensitiveness for high frequencies; and I know it because doctors performed numerous tests on it]

For me a really quiet fan is a one that I can hear when put next to my ear- i.e. below ~12 dBa

If it spins at max and makes a lot of noise it must be very hot in your room.

I do not have a casing even- it sits on a desk waiting for one. And I like low temperatures in rooms - I do not use a heater in winter, as few Celsius degrees below zero outside do not require it in my body's opinion

BIOS fan control lets you change the curve of the chipset fan.
As for controlling of this fan- like I said, it cannot be turned off completely. But I am still in talks with GIGABYTE

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I value your help - but I must dissuade approach like yours

Do you know how good of the hearing sense you have? No? Then your info is useless. [I know mine- it is above normal for people my age plus I have some sort of psychological oversensitiveness for high frequencies; and I know it because doctors performed numerous tests on it]

For me a really quiet fan is a one that I can hear when put next to my ear- i.e. below ~12 dBa

This is not an acceptable response, especially for someone attempting to provide help. There is not any information you had provided until this response that lends any detail into what is 'acceptable' to you, yet you are using it as an inflammatory response to someone offering assistance.

Also, most people do not operate their PCs within centimeters of their ears, so either this is purposefully an issue due to intently focusing the sound and might not be an issue elsewhere.

I do not have a casing even- it sits on a desk waiting for one.

You have an issue but not adequately providing a solution which might solve the issue. There are many PC cases which have insulated sides for noise suppression. I use one in my office for my home server, for example.

And I like low temperatures in rooms - I do not use a heater in winter, as few Celsius degrees below zero outside do not require it in my body's opinion

I don't understand what this information provides to the issue in this thread? Seems like ancillary data which does not pertain to the original problem.

As for controlling of this fan- like I said, it cannot be turned off completely. But I am still in talks with GIGABYTE

Removing the fan could cause cooling issues if it is required for the board, but I would assume someone would research a motherboard before purchase if it had cooling fans. Why did you not choose a model which had passive cooling?

Reactions: thomas4204

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
This is not an acceptable response, especially for someone attempting to provide help. There is not any information you had provided until this response that lends any detail into what is 'acceptable' to you, yet you are using it as an inflammatory response to someone offering assistance.
You might not like my response - I do not like anecdotal evidence

Also, most people do not operate their PCs within centimeters of their ears,
You have a data that can back that claim?

"Most people" do not have an idea how e.g. the music is suppose to sound- and there are perfectly unaware of how music is being destroyed during its post-production on the account of loudness war. So when they buy that noise from Spottily there are perfectly happy with it

I am not "most people"

so either this is purposefully an issue due to intently focusing the sound and might not be an issue elsewhere.
I think I made myself very clear from the get go:

[...]
For over 10 years I have been using totally passive PSUs and for over I have been using 15 high-end fans with dBA value below 12. The fan that this company had provided with this motherboard is making an unacceptable noise for me
[...]

[...]
There are many PC cases which have insulated sides for noise suppression.
Been there - done that

First I made made one myself. And later bought one when they started to be manufactured

Now I will be putting my PC inside a wooden cabinet. I need take care of the chipset now so that I will not be disappointment later on. And this is coming straight out of my experience

[...]
I would assume someone would research a motherboard before purchase if it had cooling fans. Why did you not choose a model which had passive cooling?
I did not bought a motheboard that was fitting my needs. I bought a motherboad that was the closest to my needs and with the least of drawbacks

For example I did not wanted to have RGB lighting - but needed to have Dual BIOS. And so the later on narrowed my choices. I wanted to have at least two M.2 slots - they shoveled down my throat a WIFI with them. Etc. etc.

logainofhades

Titan
If you didn't want the active cooling, you probably should have bought a B550 board. The fans were deemed necessary, as the chipset is running PCI-E 4.0, which creates more heat/use more power. Putting it in a wooden cabinet, better be sure you have good airflow in that.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
For example I did not wanted to have RGB lighting - but needed to have Dual BIOS. And so the later on narrowed my choices. I wanted to have at least two M.2 slots - they shoveled down my throat a WIFI with them. Etc. etc.

You don't have to use RGB lighting - every motherboard I have seen has the ability to disable this.

Wifi is also relatively easy to disable or not utilize - again, you are not required to make use of this feature.

A lot of bitterness in this thread, especially with people attempting to help and offer suggestions.

You have a data that can back that claim?

"Most people" do not have an idea how e.g. the music is suppose to sound- and there are perfectly unaware of how music is being destroyed during its post-production on the account of loudness war. So when they buy that noise from Spottily there are perfectly happy with it

I am not "most people"

My primary PC is on my desk, yet it is still at least 0.5 meter or so away from me. Again, not 'within centimeters' of my ears unless you mean many, many centimeters. My server is directly below my desk and is not audible sitting directly next to it (approx same distance away). That silence still applies when my primary PC is turned off.

Semantics appear to be the largest issue and trigger for any piece of data in this thread.

Perhaps your needs could be met on this site: https://www.fanlesstech.com/

g-unit1111

Titan
Yes

The BIOS allows for reducing the RPM value - but not for turning it completely. But the software for operating system [System Information Viewer] does not even see this fan at all

For now I have written a message to GIGYBYTE concerning this, sometime ago now- and still awaiting an answer

Yeah it might be a while before you get help from them. I have that same board and I was experiencing issues with my primary boot drive (which is an M2) and I sent them a technical support message last Sunday and have yet to hear back from them.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
Wondering about "Now I will be putting my PC inside a wooden cabinet. ".....

Air circulation & cooling?
Yes

I will put it in a cabinet and cover it with a cap made of concentrate. And the will cover it with a thick blanket, just to be extra sure, that I will block all air

Not

You don't have to use RGB lighting - every motherboard I have seen has the ability to disable this.
But I had to pay for it in the first place. And I needed to waste time getting to know how to turn it off. And why did it turn itself on when I was joggling my peripherals at the initial setup of the hardware, thus robbing me of another minutes of my life?

Wifi is also relatively easy to disable or not utilize - again, you are not required to make use of this feature.
You can turn it off only in the operating system- and it is merely a software and not a hardware operation. ERGO: too late, too weak

Perhaps your needs could be met on this site: https://www.fanlesstech.com/
Thank you. I already saw a ton of videos and read some articles about passive cooling / silent PCs; but I did take a look at this

My empirical knowledge acquired so far made me take the cabinet approach [with some solutions applied to it like a large free space inside and some options for future improvements like adding foams and stuff]

As for my "attitude"

I have been around on various forums since the time when newsgroups were still a thing. And I am simply stunned, how many child-like or treating me like a child-minded-person answers I get here

It thought that this was the go-to-place. But my time here is proving me wrong

The BIOS allows for reducing the RPM value - but not for turning it completely. But the software for operating system [System Information Viewer] does not even see this fan at all...
as the title of this app states, it should be only a system info "viewer". control for separate components usually would not be available here.

you should try Easy Tune or one of the other programs located in Gigabyte's APP Center that offers motherboard header(fan, RGB, etc) control.

there should be an option to set a custom fan curve for this VRM fan. limiting it to <50% should disable any audible noise.
if you've already tried lowering it below that value in the BIOS and it is still audible, this may just be an issue with a malfunctioning fan.

as long as you have adequate airflow across the entire system disabling this fan should not be a problem.
but there's always a chance that removing the chipset heatsinks, even if only temporarily, could void any product warranty.

still no reply from support?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Re: "attitude"

Instead of:

"I will put it in a cabinet and cover it with a cap made of concentrate. And the will cover it with a thick blanket, just to be extra sure, that I will block all air

Not "

It would have been much more useful and productive if you had simply acknowledged that you are aware of the problem(s) when PCs are installed in a wooden cabinet/desk. Many people are not so aware. ( And people selling desks with such cabinets are very unlikely to point out such potential problems.)

Then you could have maybe added a few more words and some details about your plans and efforts to ensure proper cabinet air flows and cooling. I.e., your empirical knowledge.

Then all can, for the most part, set any potential issues aside.

For the most part, a solution is probably going to involve some trade-offs. Suggestions are being offered, recommendations are being made.

You get to decide about the trade-offs and make your own final decision.

Remember, we do not control what manufacturer's chose to do or not do. What features and functions are included or not included. The trade-offs that the manufacturers' decided to make. That goes for every product these days. Much can be and is, indeed, inconvenient. What and how much can be done to resolve such matters - always TBD.

==========

Footnote:

Many posters in this Forum do not use English as their primary language. Technical terms/jargon can get quite confused during translation. Often messy enough even if translation per se is not needed. Add in all the misinformation floating about in the web....

Consider that you are not being treated "child-like". Consider that those who respond, such as myself, may simply be trying to learn more and understand the bigger picture. I do not know what I do not know. Help me with that.

The Electro Machine

Commendable
BANNED
Jan 28, 2021
Two days ago I stopped the chipset fan by the means of inserting something between its fins. Apparently this fan in terms of noise level have degraded itself in a time period of just half a year to the point where I could not bear it anymore and was blaming [mostly] my old GPU for extra noises

That chipset fan was something I have inquired GIGABYTE about practically from he get go [i.e. installing Windows on my new machine]. They said that it cannot be turned off via BIOS, it has no power switch and its connection to the motherboard was completely obscured by its radiator [which was all true]. They said also that it could only be slowed down in BIOS- which I did do, but that lowered its noise only in [my opinion in] a laughably small degree. And they said that it absolutely should not be stopped and that they did not produce quieter replacements for it. But it seems, as I observe now the temperature with the monitoring software provided by GIGABYTE, that stopping it had almost no negative consequences in terms of raised temperature

Thus I have one more proof that this motherboard is a crappy product and their support is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.