[SOLVED] hi i have a question for update win7 to win 10

Jan 14, 2020
hello,
I have an OEM COA NSLP license and I should retire my old PC and use the new one so I would like to install Windows 10 using the media creaton tool with which I created the update key from the old PC in order to use the free update which is said to be still free.
I can install win 10 using the stick on the new pc and use the windows 7 serial since the old pc will no longer use it and since the slmgr.vbs / dlv command returns me OEM COA NSLP and Number of Windows restores remaining 4
or do I have to install windows 7 on the new pc activate it and then move on to free update to windows 10?

Last edited:
Solution
but the license that I have of win 7 is not valid only for the hardware of the old pc?
Ah, I missed that you are also moving to new hardware.

You need to Upgrade the old hardware to WIn 10 first.
This gets the Win 10 license activated and linked to an MS account.

Then, you can move that license (not the actual install) to the new hardware.

So...
After the WIn 10 license is linked to your MS account, then you do a new Win 10 install on the new hardware.
Then you should be able to activate that install, via the Activation Troubleshooter.

USAFRet

Titan
but the license that I have of win 7 is not valid only for the hardware of the old pc?

So...
After the WIn 10 license is linked to your MS account, then you do a new Win 10 install on the new hardware.
Then you should be able to activate that install, via the Activation Troubleshooter.

Solution
Jan 14, 2020

So...
yes, but this procedure would allow a win 7 license that has become win 10 to be immortal, passing from a new pc to another, obviously one at a time. Are you sure it's rightly feasible?

USAFRet

Titan
yes, but this procedure would allow a win 7 license that has become win 10 to be immortal, passing from a new pc to another, obviously one at a time. Are you sure it's rightly feasible?
Yes.
Presumably there is a 'limit'. What that may be is known only to the AI at the activation server farm.

For instance...you can't do that every single day.
Once a year? Probably OK.
And the people who, like thee and me, build their own systems and would wish to transfer that license is completely dwarfed by the number or prebuilt and corporate systems that have their own license.

If MS were losing money doing this, it wouldn't be an allowed function.

Additionally, what will you personally do with the old hardware? It will then have no OS license.

Many people will repurpose that system (an HTPC, for instance), or give it to a friend/family member. Which would then need a new license for one or the other.