Hi. I have a similar issue. My AMD dual core has always run from primarily a SAT

jde wet

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Hi, I have a AMD system that has always run primarily on a SATA HDD, I had a power supply problem and pulled all the wires out, after replacing the power supply, i replaced the wires to the best of my memory. When i booted, it said detecting IDE drives, this failed and then the system asked for the system cd. I was stumped, i tried re-wiring the system and still the same problem. Eventually i got hold of some IDE drives and plugged them in, after having to obtain the required wires. I spoke to numerous friends about the issue and none of us could solve the problem. i have read on this page that my wires might be upside down? Please elaborate for the technologically impaired.

Thanks

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
SATA cables are keyed so I doubt it's in backward, make sure you have both the power connector and the SATA cable connected. Also check in the system BIOS to see if any connected SATA drives are listed there. From your description it sounds like the BIOS is not detecting the SATA drive OR the BIOS is configured to boot from IDE drives first or some combination of settings is wrong. Start there, if you have the drives plugged in properly and they are not detecting in the system BIOS there may be an issue with the drive and you should try it in another known working computer.