Hi, I have an old dell dimension 4700 tower computer and was looking to upgrade it. I am thinking about upgrading all of the

DJMatt

Honorable
Jul 24, 2015
Hi, I have an old dell dimension 4700 tower computer and was looking to upgrade it. I am thinking about upgrading all of the parts inside of it but not upgrading the case itself. I have been looking for different parts that I could use but had no idea which ones would all fit together in the old case. I am looking to have a fairly good computer with decent gaming capacity. Any suggestions for parts that would fit in a dell dimension 4700 case would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Matt, don`t bother with the old Dell case it will be more trouble than it`s worth.
The reason why is because the case is built around the motherboard.

If you are planning to fit a new motherboard, Cpu, and cooler, and a better graphics card you will be limited by the size and dimensions of the old dell case, plus, limited also by hard drive bays and 5"1/4 Dvd bays.

Plus the case will most likely have a non standard sized PSU fitted.
And a lack of space for extra cooling fans.

For the sake of £35 save yourself a lot of hassle. I would bin the dell case no question about it.
It`s your choice of course. But prior experience and good advice is just buy a new case trust me.

USAFRet

Titan

I had old Dell's of that era. Trying to put new ATX compatible parts in it will be an exercise in futility.

There is nothing special about that case. It's merely a steel and plastic box, mostly proprietary.

Matt, don`t bother with the old Dell case it will be more trouble than it`s worth.
The reason why is because the case is built around the motherboard.

If you are planning to fit a new motherboard, Cpu, and cooler, and a better graphics card you will be limited by the size and dimensions of the old dell case, plus, limited also by hard drive bays and 5"1/4 Dvd bays.

Plus the case will most likely have a non standard sized PSU fitted.
And a lack of space for extra cooling fans.

For the sake of £35 save yourself a lot of hassle. I would bin the dell case no question about it.
It`s your choice of course. But prior experience and good advice is just buy a new case trust me.

Solution