Hi, I have autodesk revit and I am trying to download it on my hard drive but it automatically puts it into the SsD(C) so I tr

Yr1699

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Hi, I have AUTODESK REVIT and I am trying to download it on my hard drive but it automatically puts it into the SSD(C) so I tried to put it into the hard drive, I made sure the path was on the hard drive but it still decides to save on the hard drive. I then moved the folder to the Hard drive but it wont open due to communication problems since it is not in the correct storage place. I looked on the website and they said it can be something program data?. My ssd is my boot drive and is 120gb and I just want to keep it for windows and nothing else.

Solution
Unless you are out of space, I would just leave it on the SSD.

If you want to attempt to move it and still have the program think it is on the SSD you can try this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294557-32-guide-move-software-games-drive-reinstalling#6110176

You have to do everything exactly how it is listed and it should work out fine. As it says do NOT try to move parts of the OS(while it can be done to some extent it is NOT recommended). This leaves the program still thinking it is on your SSD, but it can be on another drive(the space is not taken from the SSD). Make sure you keep a copy of the folder you are working with just in case something is not done properly.

USAFRet

Titan
"download" or "install" ?
There is a difference.

When you "download" it from Autodesk, your browser dictates where it will "download" to. You can change this in your browser settings.
After it is "downloaded", and you "install" it...you will have the opportunity of where to install it to.

Yr1699

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Before it began to download i chose the path for the hard drive but it still downloaded onto the SSD and when I install it, it still installs on the SSD and I can move the folder to (E) as the setup wont run

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, no matter what drive the actual application is installed to, some parts end up on the C drive.
Are you low on space on that SSD? What SSD is it? Size, make, model....

Yr1699

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
My SSD is a Kingston 120GB and I have 40GB free but Its not about space, I just dont want to use autodesk on it as I know if you use up all the space on a SSD it can begin to wear out and slow its performance

Yr1699

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
When I run setup the possible reasons for why it isnt working is 1.installation package has been removed from install location which is not supported. 2. autodesk website is closed 3. a firewall has blocked all ports

Yr1699

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Another question I have solidworks which is on my hard drive but there is a folder in the programs files(x86) on C where there is a 4gb folder for solid works ?

USAFRet

Titan

1. Do NOT worry about wearing out the SSD. Seriously. Just don't fill it up too much.
2. When you install an application, it may put some pieces of itself on the C drive, no matter what you want. The majority elsewhere, but some on the C.

USAFRet

Titan

You can't just install it, and then move that stuff to a different drive. Doesn't work.

Yr1699

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Well its just that the file for autodesk on the SSD was for 4gb which is quite a bit and I do clean my ssd and hdd by clearing unnecessary files and running mcafee software for unwanted data and virus scan so the ssd will still be at its best and keep it running clean

Unless you are out of space, I would just leave it on the SSD.

If you want to attempt to move it and still have the program think it is on the SSD you can try this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294557-32-guide-move-software-games-drive-reinstalling#6110176

You have to do everything exactly how it is listed and it should work out fine. As it says do NOT try to move parts of the OS(while it can be done to some extent it is NOT recommended). This leaves the program still thinking it is on your SSD, but it can be on another drive(the space is not taken from the SSD). Make sure you keep a copy of the folder you are working with just in case something is not done properly.

Solution