Build Advice Hi, I'm looking to build a new system but with this crazy year I'm out of touch... :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hi, I'm looking to build a new system as mine is long in the tooth, but I will be sticking with my Corsair 750 modular power supply (unless it won't have enough power for my later purchase of a new video card) which will likely be a Nvidia 30XX at some point.

BTW, I'm in Canada, which complicates things a bit for advice. :/

Also, I'll be keeping my sound card, an Asus Strix SOAR, and my monitor, a PA329C, and HDD's, except for a new M.2 SSD.

Some things of note, I haven't decided between nice bling, or ultra quiet. Both would be awesome, but you usually get have your cake and eat it to...

I was going to go with a 10XXX Intel i5 or i7, unlocked, with threading, and I'll need a new case. I'll probably go full ATX or Mid, which will effect cases and aftermarket cooling. Also, I do want to stay with air cooling.

For the new SSD I was looking at this deal, but I wasn't sure if that was a really good option/deal.

SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC

https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-970-evo-plus-1tb/p/N82E16820147743

Also, regarding the case, not including the new M.2 drive, I would need a case with space for 4, 3.5" HDD, and a bay (if possible) for a DVD burner at the front, which I also already have. Also, I do like having more then 2 USB ports on the top front of the case. I currently have a Fractal Design Mini BTW.

My budget is somewhat flexible, but not unlimited, which is partly why I'm waiting to get a new graphics card.

I don't have a specific preference for a MB, but I've usually done well with Asus, but I know other companies also have great MB's as well. Some USB 2 ports, and a lot of USB 3.1 gen2 ports on the back would be very helpful!

I will need new ram, and would need 32GB, preferably as 2 instead of 4, as you then have room for expansion, and there's usually less issues with 2 as apposed to 4.

Lastly (I think), I could use a new non-mechanical keyboard. I had heard that wireless can have some lag, but I don't know how much. I do work and gaming on it, but I don't play a lot of online games that require split second reflexes like PlayerUnknown Battleground and such. I've been using a Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard, and I'm used to it, but I know these ergonomic guys are going out of style, fast. I'd love a good "transition" keyboard that would bridge the gap between this full ergo, and a regular keyboard I would get later. I should also say that I hate keyboards that have a split in the spacebar, or a big gap going down the middle from the Fkeys to the spacebar. lol

Very lastly, I'm not in a super hurry to get a new system up and running, but I do need one pretty soon. I was hoping to get some good deals this BF/CM, but I haven't seen a whole lot.

Even if you have no advice to offer, if you read this much of my post, you have my thanks. :)

DM

Came up with this. I might change the RAM to non-RGB, but unless I'm remembering wrong, I don't think the price was much different.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor

Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

A few questions.

How is the case I picked for noise vs airflow?

I picked the MB due to always finding Asus to make good MB's, and this one has a lot of USB 3 ports, which I need for my portable drives. I also have a hub, but those bottleneck depending on what you're doing.
I am wondering though if I would be better served getting a USB 3.2 expansion card and going with a less expensive MB.

Is a mid tower fine, or should I get a full ATX tower? I'm in the queue for an EVGA 3080ti for the "first 24h for elite members, but I have a ways to go before my spot comes up. I wasn't sure if I would have problems with that card in a mid tower.

Thoughts? :)

Thanks!
A full tower has more space for airflow. Some of the parts in there are way overkill...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor | $715.50 @ shopRBC
CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler | $139.94 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard | Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard | $389.99 @ Canada Computers
Memory | Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $236.60 @ Amazon Canada
Storage | Corsair MP600 Core 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $154.99 @ Amazon Canada
Case | Fractal Design Define 7 XL Light ATX Full Tower Case | $279.98 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $179.99 @ Newegg Canada
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $2096.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-02 02:55 EDT-0400 |

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Full tower. Got it!

I do video rendering in Resolve, photography editing in Photoshop (much less of an issue) and some 3D modeling.

I went 64GB of ram because I have actually been up to over 80% usage of 32GB of ram. The processor is expensive, but it will render things faster for me.

What else is overkill?

Thanks!

logainofhades

Titan
You do not have to have a full tower. There are plenty of mid towers, that provide great airflow. Being a QLC drive, I wouldn't get the Corsair MP 600 core either. If you want a gen 4 drive, go with the MP 600 force. Unless you really feel the need to have both M.2 drives gen 4.0, I would go with a B550 board as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($678.98 @ Best Buy Canada)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($116.49 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($476.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($195.31 @ iSanek)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2056.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-02 10:38 EDT-0400

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Actually I already have the M.2 drive.

I'll look at the MB you suggested.

Can you suggest a full or mid tower that is quiet and has good airflow?

BTW, I know I've always resisted water cooling due to people not liking the pump noise, but does anyone know of a good video that lets you hear the noise that a modern pump makes? Maybe I'll making a mountain out of a mole hill. :)

Thanks for all the help guys!

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Thanks!

Edit: My bad. I kind of need a 5.25 front bay for a DVD burner. I do a lot of them for clients and desk space is at a premium until I get a new computer desk. I also tend to have a USB hub on top of the case, so I couldn't put an external drive there. :/

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
There are plenty of mid towers, that provide great airflow. Being a QLC drive, I wouldn't get the Corsair MP 600 core either. If you want a gen 4 drive, go with the MP 600 force. ...I would go with a B550 board as well.

Could you recommend a mid tower that is quiet, has good airflow, and at least 1 5.25 front bay?

In regards to the Corsair MP 600, I don't see that on my list.

Thanks!

logainofhades

Titan
The MP core was in reference to Hellfire's list. Needing the 5.25 bay complicates things, so a full tower is going to make that part easier. Not many cases come with them anymore. Most just use a slim external drive for optical, these days, like this, from my understanding. https://www.newegg.com/lg-model-gp60ns50-slim-dvd-burner/p/N82E16827136266. Me personally, I just use an old laptop, that I have, when I actually need an optical drive, which is almost never.

For a full tower, that won't break the bank, this would work.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mn3RsY/phanteks-case-phes614pbk

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
You know what? Lets scrap the DVD burner. I can always plug a portable one in when I need to burn something for a customer. That will makes things a lot easier.

After seeing those 2 cases I realized that I didn't realize what things were important to me in a case. I always think of cooling and noise, but not about other things like look, and front ports.

First. The orange on the be quiet! case... No. Just, no. lol ;) Sorry, but I like black, or black with some silver highlights. Most cases are black, thankfully.

Second. I like to have several USB ports on the front of the case to take any load off of a USB hub. Although I don't know if I'll need a hub with all the ports some of these MB's have. I may get a PCIe expansion card instead. With that, I would want at least 3 USB ports on the front of the case. A USB C would be nice, especially for future proofing, but I won't cry without one. :)

I did read these comments on the B550-F. (Me personally though, I've always loved Asus MB's, and the BIOS Flashback feature is nice, especially since the B550 may not work with the CPU I've picked depending on the preinstalled BIOS firmware.)

These are from PCPartsPicker:

Only 4 stars, because the networking issues at the start gave me concern. Apparently no reviews that I saw online mention the ASUS Intel networking chip lottery.

and

it CANNOT handle an ARGB hub of 4+ connectors. To clarify: this motherboard only has a SINGLE ARGB port available. So, I have an upHere fan hub that I wanted to use with my build, which comes with 7 fan connectors and 7 ARGB connectors inside of it as well. Once I connected the ARGB connector from the hub to the motherboard, ASUS Aura says it couldn't handle more than 4 connectors; ultimately, my fan hub. So, I had to order an ARGB splitter (4 to 1) for my fans & AIO block.

You may be wondering why I am caring about ARGB when I want dark and quiet. All I can say is, that I want to keep my options open for the future. :D

Sorry for not giving you guys enough information. My bad. I haven't built a new system since the one I'm currently using, which has an i5 4690K. I'm a bit rusty and out of touch. :/

logainofhades

Titan
Modified my earlier build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($715.50 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($116.49 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($204.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($369.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Team CARDEA ZERO Z440 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($355.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case ($112.25 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $2031.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-07 09:22 EDT-0400

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Looking at this as my (possible) final list. The one thing I don't know is how many 3.5" drives the case will hold without the cage.

Edit: Adding the link would be helpful... lol

If anyone knows, that would be great!

Other than that, any additional comments or concerns would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Thanks! Everything is ordered except for the case. I can't find it in Canada and I'm not sure if be quiet! honors warranties over the border.

I haven't built a system in a pretty long time. What's the best thermal paste these days?

I always forget something...