Hi is the nzxt switch 810 just as good as the corsair obsidian 800d

xXPIRATEZOMBIEXx

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hi guys I really like this case Im about to buy all my components from newegg and wondering anyone who has this case if you have a build. My build will consist of these components 1)Intel 2600k (i7) 2)radeon 6950s crossfire mode 3)16gb ram 4)h100 cpu cooler and maybe some extra fans to help cool the case and the components will 6 fans and the cpu cooler keep everything cool and also will everything fit perfectly or will lots of room be left also forgot to mention is it as good as the corsair obsidian 800d or is it par

man are out of your mind?seriously,obsidian 800D is one of the best case.NZXT provides best cases for a cheaper price tag.phantom and switch are good examples.HAF X no doubt has good cooling but it's ugly as crap.from the three cases,800D is the best but if you are on a budget then Switch.it has received great ratings from review sites.next time,do some research then suggest.no offence meant.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
How is looks relevant, if he likes the looks of the 800D he can get it, but i dont make responses based on looks just specs. Go read the reviews, the 800D does have bad cooling for a case as expensive as it is. NZXT does have good reviews on newegg, but their build quality in my opinion is not on par with either of the other cases.

And to answer xpirate, yes the H-100 will fit in the roof of the HAF-X properly and dual 6950's will fit fine (make sure your motherboard leaves a couple inches of space between the cards to cool them better). I personally use an antec 300 illusion because i dont run a crossfire or sli system. If i ever did plan on doing an SLI rig the HAF-X would be the case i would get.

naf

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I'd say check out the Silverstone FT02 as well. Innocuous looks, runs cool, compact, people love it.

Or if you want to get funky check out the Cubitek Magic Cube (but you'll have to go somewhere other than newegg).

I've seen a lot of positive feedback about the 800D, but much of it comes from people who have installed non-stock cooling (fans or water) in it - it's big and lends itself well to some customization.

yeah!fortress is one smexy case!

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

I've done research for about 2 month before I've bought my Corsair 800d and that case totaly worth the money I've spent on it. Video and picture you might found on the net about this case just can't do justice to how awsome it is.

The only reasons to not choose a 800d would be if you are on a budget, don't want a clear side panel or just prefer some other high end case look.

I doubt that you could find any corsair 800d owner who regret his choice. Their is a reason why this case won so many awards.

Like previously stated nzxt provide pretty good case for the price.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Two things.

1) So 10 well known website give perfect score to that case and you find one with a few critic and you tag it as a poor choice ?
2) If your ready to pay over 300$ for a case you probably don't even care about "stock" cooling performance and more about the custom cooling you can do with that case.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Whatever, im just trying to show both sides here. I agree the 800D looks really good, but it simply is not good at cooling. Any logical person can see this just by looking at it (but it seems common sense is in short supply on the internet) not to mention i backed my opinion up in a very thorough in depth review by ( and in my opinion) the best review site for unbias opinions on the internet.

If he wants his system to look good buy the corsair, if he wants cool running parts he should look elsewhere.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

No were your review say it has bad cooling, They just talk about "stock fans cooling" wich is pretty irrevelant to anyone spending 300$ on a case. Talk about stock fan on a 100$ case not on a 300$ + tower.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
You are in denial sir, you dont want to believe it because you OWN the case. Switching fans is not the answer in the 800D, the stock fans are of high quality and move enough air, the problem is the design itself. They needed to take a page from antec and use dual 120's in the front with HDD bays parallel to the optical bay, this produces the best cooling scenario.

The 800D is simply too big for its cooling design, not enough CFM to push air around that monster. Side panels are nice to look at, but again that does nothing for cooling.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
How the hell are people saying "No where in your review does it say it has bad cooling". How about you actually read the page i linked?

I trust overclock3d.net, this dude actually REVIEWS things. His videos are uber long and he goes into tremendous detail about every single facet about a product, and he does not sugar coat anything. He is actually sponsored by corsair (he gets money from them) yet he gives honest reviews about products for the greater good.

Its just too bad that in your 2 month research period you didnt come across that website, might have swayed your decision (that is unless looks is your only deciding factor, and being a case i cant really fault you on that).

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Well sure that side panel prevent the use of a side fan but well, did you found anyone using a corsair 800d having heat problem ?

Also yeah your right. A owner can't be relied on for a case performance. Someone who rely on a single website claiming it has bad cooling vs every other website giving it their approval tag is probably wiser.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I found that review after i posted that the 800D has terrible cooling, my first post was just on research i did looking at pictures of cases, the review simply backed up my perceptions about it. Seriously, just looking at it you can see it has inadequate cooling for a case of its magnitude (and price).

You bought a case based on looks and not performance, AND THATS FINE because its a case, looks are the most important part. But you cant simply suggest people buy it because of looks, some people prefer function over form.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Well my last reply. OP goes for a h100cpu cooler and adding extra fan. The corsair 800d has been build for that exact purpose not for stock air cooling. The OP set-up with a h100 + extra fan like he is implying will run realy cool. He might end choosing something else then a 800d but telling him that case isn't a good option is doing miss information.

I chose the 800d because I can easely fit 2 radiator. again the corsair 800d is for custom cooling. Not for stock cooling. But your probably right, So many person seeing it as one of the best watercooling case must all be wrong.

Also my review wasn't about the look opf the 800d. But how it perform with "custom cooling".

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/19661-corsair-obsidian-series-800d-chassis-real-builders/
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1036/1/
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/22851-corsair-obsidian-800d-full-tower-case-video-review.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Obsidian_800D/6.html

I won't post more but again the major flaw are all about stock cooling and air cooling. Hybrid solution and watercooling solution is what this case has been builded for and it is what the OP stated to do.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Let me just put this out there too, i own the antec 300 illusion. I also did months of research before i built my system, and here were my requirements in a case:

1. Reasonably priced (got mine on sale for 55 bucks).
2. Great stock cooling (best cooling in that price range, nothing comes close)
3. Good looks
4. No modifications needed
5. I never intended my case to be an SLI rig, this is reflected in my motherboard (no xfire or sli support to make build costs cheaper, also my power supply is a 520w antec unit with 2 6 pin pci-x connectors, not a proper PSU for SLI rig, also lowered my system costs).

You need to look at a lot of things when choosing a case, mainly if you want it to be a purpose built SLI or Xfire rig. I didnt blindly choose the 300 illusion cause it looks good (but it does as a plus), i choose it because it was priced very well, fit what i wanted to do with my PC, and had amazing cooling for its price point (i feel bad for people who buy the 912 by cooler master, 300 illusion is superior in every way).

I would bet 1,000 dollars if you put my components into your 800D it would not only run hotter, it would run a LOT hotter. To me this is unacceptable for the price difference. I run a 2500k at 4.2ghz on stock voltage and my CPU idles at 28-30c (cooler master 212+) max load temps in prime 95 is 58c. My GTX 465 (notoriously hot GPU) maxes in games at 70c (this is lower than even some low wattage cards like the 6870). This is truly unreal if you google "gtx 465 temperatures", you will see that 85-90c is not an uncommon occurence for these cards, as the gtx 465, 470, 480 were all massively power hungry and hot running cards. I attribute my low temps to my case, with its dual 120mm intakes, 120mm rear fan, and 140mm top exhaust.

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
LOL, hilarious thread. At first I thought "damn that scotty is being a douche, why is he dissing 1 of my favorite companies"......then I followed the links, did my own search, and wow....I agree, that 800 is not the best case to buy if you want some good stock cooling. The link loops posted was pretty much the nail in the coffin......the guy basically had to redesign the entire thing just to get it cooled down, and then ended up with a Corsair Dust Collector which may be great for filtering the air of pollen, but not great for the PC.

Scotty I just wanted to jump in and let you know that some sanity does exist out here in cyber space. Probably best to just walk away slowly from this train wreck :). The whole thread reminds me of the Monty Python skit where the guy is saying the parrot isn't dead, he's just sleeping.

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
can I just add that if you get custom water you wont need a good case airflow, if you can get everything under water then the air inside the case wont get hot. I think HAF-x's look like a brick that someone has painted with poo but nonetheless the product wouldnt have so many good reviews and buys if it wasnt good. get the Switch man! its a combination of all of the above and dont listen to that guy, NZXT's build quality is exceptional, just because its a jap brand, doesnt mean its unreliable. Look at a Toyota Landcruiser for example.