Hi, My acer aspire E5-551G dead screen issue, nothing is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huan Huan

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
Black screen without ANYTHING, well, the fan starts, on good days, then almost overheats. Can't go in to windows. Tried take out ram, take out battery, f12+esc, BIOS start with BIOS in USB, but can't get the recovery BIOS because ACER sucks. Of course also tried with battery out, just chord in. Can't do CMOS reset because it's lid fast.

oh, And now everytime I turn it on it has really loud Beeps+ 5 long, 2 short. 3 times.

Aug 27, 2014
You probably bent some of the pins on one of the cables to keyboard or something - Check cable ends for copper strips folded and touching or broken. Can make cables from old LCD tv cables with magnifying lens & light. Look for gooey sticky liquids on your motherboard, bent pins on cpu if you removed it.
Take out ram and only replace one at a time interchanging them to see if one is bad.
Remove CPU (Probably Can't)
remove wireless card and test machine, remove dvd....
Replace HDD with good tester keep in mind that windows from another laptop probably wont work because drivers all different but may give you different symptoms.
To clear most CMOS take small round battery out and short out the battery terminals for 30 seconds.
HP is difficult may have to hold power & short out and or short out for 24 hours.
If all else fails and is same issue Do the oven bake as described on youtube videos. (open windows for ventilation and prefer using oven that you dont bake food in.
East Coast Canada Rocks
Oh! Prior to any of this Clean your darn ventilation and put new CPU heatsink paste to prevent these overheating issues every year. Lint and dirt pile up inside the fan & it's pathways. Clean everything but the fan shaft that has grease but remove the hair, and scum with alcohol and q-tips.
This is general information..

zezuzaza

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Hello. I am sorry to say that your acer aspire E5-551G got motherboard problem. It is overheated because it running on AMD. This brand is always like this all over the world same problem. If you not change your motherboard, it will effect the display and will got black screen.

Solution:
Purchase new motherboard to this laptop

Huan Huan, do you remember who made your bios as in "award", "ami", "phoenix" or whatever? try this, remove main battery from laptop, disconnect power adapter from laptop, hold the power button down for a 20 count, re-install main battery back into laptop, reconnect power adapter to laptop, turn on laptop & report back here the results, good or bad.

EastCoastCanadianMrFixIt, do you know what you are talking about? I'm in central Ontario.

Aug 27, 2014
Ya I was giving general advice and for others to prevent overheating issues. Acer is known for a CMOS issue but not a hard fix or test and the chip is available for 3 to 5.00 ebay, aliexpress etc. I meant Toshiba rather than HP have hard time resetting BIOS on HP. There are free laptop schematics available online but I can't say the name. I'm always in a rush. I'm working on Acer V17 Nitro right now!!
Bye.
Moncton NB lived in Oshawa, Hamilton a bit, London, Rex dale, Scarborough a bit, Toronto 1980 or 81 saw ToTo live but maybe was Journey or something.

Huan Huan

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017

Yes, that as well, didn't work. Not sure if this laptop had any even, which is a bit strange. That was the first thing I noticed on my new laptop.

Aug 27, 2014
Sorry I meant acer is known for a bad mosfet or power regulator chip it's a fair size so easily replaced.
I'm sure you shouldn't be having this type of issue with a new machine. Sounds very bizarare. Almost like a bad cpu. Maybe you can find a cheap replacement on kijiji a local site for buying and selling anything and repair people. Use caution tho. Hard to trust just anyone.

Huan Huan, most maybe all have recovery partition that you are supposed to use to make your recovery dicks just in case the hard drive dies & need to install windows on the new hard drive. did you do this yet? remove main battery from laptop, disconnect power adapter from laptop, hold the power button down for a 20 count, re-install main battery back into laptop, reconnect power adapter to laptop, turn on laptop & report back here the results, good or bad.

Aug 27, 2014
5 beeps is CPU or motherboard issue, 2 beeps is ram issue. Have you taken the fan out and apart to see if its clogged and restricting airflow thus indicating that you overheated the CPU/GPU? if putting new cpu thermal paste on it doesnt work try the Oven Method of repair as described on youtube videos. This is for overheated condition only and as a last resort. Will not be a permanent fix however, may last a month or perhaps a year.
Again, there are schematics available free for that particular board perhaps and you can follow the 1-wire circuit to test it easily (see youtube 1-wire circuit explained) once you have that understanding.
Don't forget to give us feedback if your issue gets resolved.
thanks

Huan Huan

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017

Of course I tried this a hundred times or so before moving on to finding the issue

Huan Huan

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017

Hello, Thank you. The fan was a bit, not clean. But could that really affect the motherboard. I have cleaned it now anyways, and I might try to boot it up again. Otherwise I might just sell the left overs. I don't even have an oven or any other practical tools for more advanced things.

Huan Huan

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017

I made the harddrive to an external hard drive and plugged it in to my new computer, I can see now that yes, there are recovery partions. But this method didn't work before so doubt it would work now.

Nina_19

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

Hello, Nopes, I got an hp omen instead and picked apart the acer and made the hard drive into an external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.