Hi! My first time building a PC and I just want to be sure about the parts

G

Hello everybody, this is gonna be my first time building a PC and I'm very excited!

Its primarily going to be used for gaming, and also for watching Full HD and Ultra HD movies, and in the future I'm gonna also use it with the "Oculus Rift" and/or "The Vive".

I have no intentions of overclocking any of the components, but I'm planing on buying another GTX 980 in the future for SLI (probably 3 to 4 years from now), that's why I've chosen a 850W PSU.

I would like to know if its a good setup and if everything is compatible or should I change anything:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
Case: Cooler Master 690 III ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition 37.9 CFM 120mm Fan
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan
Monitor: Samsung U28D590D 60Hz 28.0" Monitor

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Solution

That Xeon is excellent value and is £50 + cheaper than the locked i7 4790 which is essentially the same chip without the onboard graphics. I recently purchased an I5 4460 system but would probably have bought the Xeon had I known about it. If I were building a new pc from scratch and did not want to overclock I would consider the new I5 6500 or I5 6600 non K which...

Daniel Hart

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Well if you truly have no interest in OCing, you'll save money going with a "non-K" version of that CPU, and a locked motherboard. After that it's similar to my own build! I went with a Xeon e3 1230 v3, which is only like 20 bucks more, and is basically a locked version of an i7. This would eliminate any chance of your i5 bottlenecking that 980. Good luck and have fun!

Mercian

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014

That Xeon is excellent value and is £50 + cheaper than the locked i7 4790 which is essentially the same chip without the onboard graphics. I recently purchased an I5 4460 system but would probably have bought the Xeon had I known about it. If I were building a new pc from scratch and did not want to overclock I would consider the new I5 6500 or I5 6600 non K which would probably still be a little cheaper I5 4690 k when you take into consideration a cheaper motherboard, more expensive RAM and ditching the cooler. The PSU is good but a bit overkill for your system, look for something in the 600/650 w range from a quality manufacturer.

Solution
G

Hey, thank you both for your answers!

Based on your feedback I decided to change the CPU for the: "Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor" since I couldn't find the Intel Xeon here where I live and neither the Intel I5 6500 or Intel I5 6600 also.

I couldn't change the motherboard to something cheaper or "locked" like Daniel Hart said because I will need the Z97 to run SLI in the future.

And the last thing is the PSU. It is somewhat of an overkill and I gotta agree with Mercian, but since I'm going to run 5 cooler fans, an HD and a SSD, changed the CPU for something even more powerful with a special cooler and plan to do 2x GTX980 SLI in the future, I believe its best to have some headroom right?

Daniel Hart

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
If you're planning on SLI then you're right, and if that's the case go for the beefier PSU you had first as well, as you'll need that juice for the future. Also in that case I'd agree with Mercian, if you're getting an unlocked board, might as well get an unlocked cpu if you can afford it, as even if right now you're not interested in OCing, you may be later as you gain the upgrade itch. :)

G

Thanks again for all your answers and help!

I'll check it out and maybe change a few components on this build, motherboard wise, since I gave up on the idea of sli and will definitely not overclock in the future.

I'm going for a mini itx case, and a mini itx motherboard, and change the PSU for something of a more modest wattage (seasonic x series 650 watts), since no SLI will be happening in the future, and I'm also changing the cpu cooler for a water cooler to fit the case a little bit better.

Its good that I still have some time to think about this build so I won't have to rush it and regret about some component later on.

I'll probably start a new thread when I'll have my new PC parts build defined just so people can give their opinions to see if something needs an improvement or if I'm finally good to go and build my very first gaming PC.

I would like to thank both of you guys Daniel Hart and Mercian for all your help!

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS