Question Hi! My Heat sink wont attach nicely, please help D:

Aug 12, 2019
Hey, my CPU is thermal throttling, so i applied some fresh thermal paste but the issue is that, i cant attach my Heat sink/fan to it properly again to where it spreads the paste evenly.

I'm talking about the intel CPU with 4 pins, the ones you twist :p (i5 4690)

My PC is quite old, one pin is broken, i manage to get 2 pins in fine but they're both on the same side, the 3rd becomes a pain in the backside.

Help much appreciated, thanks!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hey, my CPU is thermal throttling, so i applied some fresh thermal paste but the issue is that, i cant attach my Heat sink/fan to it properly again to where it spreads the paste evenly.

I'm talking about the intel CPU with 4 pins, the ones you twist :p (i5 4690)

My PC is quite old, one pin is broken, i manage to get 2 pins in fine but they're both on the same side, the 3rd becomes a pain in the backside.

Help much appreciated, thanks!
If one pin is broken then you likely want to get a replacement pin anyway, as not having all pins secured fully can cause thermal issues as the heatsink won't be fully and evenly seated against the CPU.

That and you'll want to secure each pin in diagonals. So secure one pin in one corner, then go to the opposite diagonal corner and secure so that you securing the heatsink down evenly on both sides, rather than securing one side, then the other.