Hi my motherboard is 0FJ030

waynehjr1

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I have just updated my system to a 3.4 GB core2 processor and a Nvida Geforce 9400GT 1GB/128bit. I also just installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit operating system, but my RAM has 2x 2GB memory chips and it onlt reads 3.5 GB. I have tried to install my other 2 2GB RAM memory chips and I can't even boot my system when I do that. I thought with a 64 bit operating system, you could go up to 128 GB of ram. What could be my problem?

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

The reason why your computer is only reading 3.5GB of RAM is because the other .5GB is probably used for your videocard or for other resources on your computer.

• BIOS – including ACPI and legacy video support
• PCI bus including bridges etc.
• PCI Express support will reserve at least 256MB, up to 768MB depending on graphics card installed memory
source: http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

You said that you also tried installing 4GB more RAM. So are you saying you tried installing 8GB of RAM? Are you installing the same type of RAM? Are the RAM made from the same company? Does your motherboard even allow more than 4GB of RAM? Some motherboards won't boot if you install 4 DIMMs of RAM.

What is the specs for your entire computer? motherboard, type of RAM, etc? I can't help you, if you don't give me more information.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
If you are running a 64bit OS you should see all the ram. Check in your bios and see if memory remap is enabled.

Post your systems components.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

You are right if he was running a 32 bit OS, but he say's he is running a 64 bit OS. I have 6GB installed on my Vista 64 bit and it is all available.

waynehjr1

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
System Type: Dell DXP051
BIOS Version: A06
Processor Type:Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40 GHz Dual Core
Bus: 800
L2 Cashe: 4
L3 Cashe: 0
Processor I.D.:0F65
64 Bit Technology: Yes(Intel EM64T)
RAM: Kingston(KVR) DDR2 SDRAM 2 GB (each)
Mem. Speed: 667 MHz
Mem Channel Mode: Single
Mem Type: Unbuffered
ECC: No
Organization: x8
Primary Video: PEG=Use the PCI Express Graphics Video Controller
PCI Info: Slot I.D.: PEG Connected Device: VGA
Motherboard: Dell 0FJ030 BIOS: A06

I can't seem to find out any more information on the motherboard. If I start up system to view loading files, most of the files are Example:
windows\system32 etc..
I've downloaded all available upgrades (I believe), and it says I'm running 64 bit Operating System(under Computer Properties). The instructions for upgrading to 64 bit system said that 32 bit devices ect. wouldn't work in 64 bit, so I assume that everything should be set up for that.
If you know a way I can get or find out more info. on my motherboard, I can get you the info. you requested.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
+1 waynehjr1
"You are right. I forgot to post the rest of the article. http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx However, I did ask about his motherboard because that plays a major factor in his situation."

The 1st problem I believe is that your computer is a Dell Dimension 9150 (Dell DXP051) http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dimension-9150-desktop/4507-3118_7-31637437.html?tag=mncol;rnav I don't think your DELL motherboard (Intel 945P Express chipset) has an option to enable memory remap. Which is an option that allows your motherboard to fully use 4GB or above. Dell BIOS are usually limited to what you can change.

The 2nd problem is your motherboard can only support 4GB of total RAM. I researched it online. So, if you tried to add 4GB more RAM to motherboard = 8GB. It won't work.

--------------

Question: I just bought a system with 4GB of physical RAM in it. The BIOS posts 4GB, but Windows tells me that I have anywhere from 2.75 - 3.5GB of RAM. Where is the rest of my RAM?

Summary: If you are running 32-bit Windows, you must live with it. You will not ever see all 4GB of RAM but it WILL be used by the system for hardware devices. If you are running 64-bit Windows, you may or may see all the memory, depending on your motherboard's chipset, your system may support memory remapping. If so, you will be able to see all 4GB of RAM.

source: http://www.asisupport.com/ts_4GB_memory_info.htm

waynehjr1

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Actually me computer is a Dell XPS 400. When I said (Dell DXP051) that is what showed in the System area under system setup at boot-up area. I am running 64 bit operating system. So in either case to be able to use my other 4 GB of RAM I need to upgrade the motherboard. Guess I'll start looking aound for one Thanks

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I just researched on the Dell XPS 400 on the dell website. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps400/sm/specs.htm#wp1053343 and yes, it only supports a max of 4GB. Good luck.

Also, I believe the Dell XPS 400 uses a BTX motherboard and BTX designed case. So you cannot upgrade with the "common" ATX motherboard. I think you're going to have to replace the motherboard and case if you want to upgrade. I'm not sure if you have to replace the PSU. Research more before you make a final decision.

tumblweed9999

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Horses Mouth from Dells web site
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps400/sm/parts.htm#wp1073631

Addressing Memory With 4-GB Configurations

Your computer supports a maximum of 4 GB of memory when you use four 1-GB DIMMs. Current operating systems, such as Microsoft® Windows® XP, can only use a maximum of 4 GB of address space; however, the amount of memory available to the operating system is less than 4 GB. Certain components within the computer require address space in the 4-GB range. Any address space reserved for these components cannot be used by computer memory.