Hi, my new build pc won’t boot. Nothing happens when I press the power button

zerong636

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
https://imgur.com/a/hKJrl
https://imgur.com/a/t6KkR

Here’s my new build. I plugged in the 24 pin. The 4 pin power supply for the cpu. The switch on the psu is on. But when I press the power on button nothing happens. No sound, no beep, no light, no fans are spinning, nothing.

Everything is new except for the psu and the hard drive

Guys and gals, how to fix this?

I see you plugged in your front panel connectors, but are you 110% sure they're plugged into the right pins? and are in ALL the way? Double check the mobo manual and double check the labels on the pins so the +s and -s are right.

When was the last time the PSU was working?

shaneleah29

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
matter of fact, switch off your pc. reconnect the 4 pin power plug to the socket at the back of your pc - where you rear usb ports are. now - don't force the four pin plug all the way in - just leave it hanging in there, gently - you might say. now boot your pc, you get the bios screen. press f1 - it'll boot. happy camping!

USAFRet

Titan

I've seen you post this same dangerous comment at least twice now.
What leads you to believe that this is a proper method of connecting electrical cables?

Please, in as much detail as you can...describe to us why this is a good idea.

OP, and anyone else that comes across this...DO NOT DO THIS.

shaneleah29

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
sorry if i upset you. first - i don't have any electrical knowledge or training but i was determined to get my pc to start. after spending two days building this new supercomputer of mine, i decided i wasn't going to follow the rulebook, and try some diagnositic checks. the reset plugs firstly, then the remaining 9 plugs and sockets. i removed my pc from its case - as you advise and did some benchtesting, ie. rogue wires, reasons for the motherboard to short and anything else i could think of. finally after doing some research on your site, i tried to decipher what on earth the jargon was all about as i read others' attempts to start their own computer, and possible solutions.

the final straw was when i read that i should remove the audio/visual plug - the large 18[?] pin connector, and reboot to see if the fan will turn?

all these tests failed to boot my computer.

as a last resort, i unplugged the four pin connector from the power socket on my motherboard because i was trying to change the processor - as by now i thought that was the problem? i was pretty determined i should win by now and had become a little wreckless and decided to rush my supper, and just try to boot the damned thing whether i broke it or not. would you believe it? it actually booted, well the fan started spinning and it all lit up like a christmas tree. thrilled, and thinking i had actually created life - i danced round the room and posted on your wall. advising my fellow wouldbe computer scientists to do as i did and be happy anything at all worked out today.

i reired to bed at this point thinking i deserved the rest.

when i woke this morning i had an idea what to do. i immediately switched the computer off and reconnected the 4 pin power plug to the socket - only gently pushing it in rather than ramming it home like i owned the shop. and hey - you genius! it actually booted the bios screen. f1 - and away with you demons of doubt! another happy camper! thank you Tom's Hardware!