Question Hi, my pc got corrupted and now it wont boot past the repair window. My question is, if I use a windows repair install will my files still be safe?

Mar 8, 2019
The PC is a couple years old now, my AVG antivirus had been acting a bit odd, then my file explorer just stopped working, and my pc wouldn't restart. I've tried a bunch of fixed suggested from tutorials and such but I think I've done more harm then good. Any help is appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Depends where your files are. I can't say I have run a repair install. Often if windows sick enough to not start, I would clean install and start with a fresh working version of Windows.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

is there anything on C you want to rescue?
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

once you have everything saved off PC, you can try a repair install

Mar 8, 2019
Wow, thanks for quick reply and detailed information, its really appreciated. I don't think there's anything specific I want to save to be honest, most of the important things have already been moved to an external drive. Thanks again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wow, thanks for quick reply and detailed information, its really appreciated. I don't think there's anything specific I want to save to be honest, most of the important things have already been moved to an external drive. Thanks again.

just fresh install then
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished