Hi-res dual screen setup for 2D/photo apps, advice needed!

TomasTT

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Hi everybody,
I´ve been using dual screen setup mainly for Photoshop for years. It works really well, main screen for work, second screen for palettes etc.
My previous PC had 9800PRO128 with 21" CRT main and 17" LCD as secondary. No problems at all. My new PC is also using 9800PRO128 in AGP8x but I have 24" main screen LCD (1920x1200) and my old secondary LCD (1280x1024) and in Photoshop is visible, that 9800PRO is not able to supply enough power for those two screens. My 17" is on D-SUB and in Windows it appears as "primary" and 24" on digital output is as "secondary". I have no idea, if there is difference in speed between primary and secondary inside 9800PRO. Anyway, when I disable 17" on analogue cable, it will really speed up main screen redraw (like during moving image windows around screen in Photoshop). So, what do you advice? Is possible to add one PCI card to supply just 17" and keep the 24" on 9800PRO or get new AGP card? Cannot buy PCI Express adapter, my PC is PCI-X and AGP only. Thanks for ideas and tips.

TomasTT

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks,
interesting idea. But this is specs:

Chipset: RADEON 9800 Pro
Installed Video Memory: 128 MB
Memory Technology: DDR-SDRAM
RAMDAC Speed: dual 400 MHz
Max Resolution: 2048 x 1536
Refresh Rate at Max Resolution: 85 Hz
Color Depth at Maximum Resolution: 16.7 Million Colors (24-bit)

In fact, I´m running 32 bit, but even Catalyst driver support this resolution, so...

Tomas

7 is kinda right actually.

You have the LCD hooked up to the DVI connector, and if you read the in depth specs for that connection it wil say supports max 16x12x32x60hz. It will support 1920x1200 with reduced blanking though. This is due to the fact that it has a single link TMDS. You can support higher resolutions like you mention, but only along the analogue portion of the connectors (either the DB-15 or a VGA adapter on the DVI). Now does that monitor have both a DVI-D and VGA input? IF so you can switch the connection without needing a new card, but if you want digital on that card and not be limited to 52hz, then

If you want digital then you need a new card.

For AGP I would recommend the R9600Pro PC&MAC edition which is a good price, or the X1600Pro AGP which is newer tech, has good 2D video enhancements, and 2 dual link DVIs.

For more info on what I'm talking about check this article;
http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/29/the_tft_connection/

TomasTT

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks a lot!
That will explain it totally - in past I was running main screen (1600x1200) on analogue and LCD 1280x1024 on DVI. Now I swapped it as my new 24" has analogue input, but picture looks much worse then via digital.
I will check, who may have X1600PRO on stock here. I believe Sapphire and GeCube offer it...

I looked for AGP versions of any modern adapters and almost everybody (here) have on stock X850XT or AX800XL 2DTV cards. They are much more expensive (2x or 3x). Do you think, that let say AX800XL will not be better for my application then X1600PRO? It has two DVI outputs too...

Just final question - do you think, that it make more sense to use it together with basic PCI card to run second monitor or X1600PRO will be able to drive both monitors OK?

Thanks

T.

I will check, who may have X1600PRO on stock here. I believe Sapphire and GeCube offer it...

Just my opinionbut get Sapphire, they make great cards (no longer make the BBA cards though, not even sure if they still make their own even), still better bet for quality support and service, but time will truely tell that.

I looked for AGP versions of any modern adapters and almost everybody (here) have on stock X850XT or AX800XL 2DTV cards. They are much more expensive (2x or 3x). Do you think, that let say AX800XL will not be better for my application then X1600PRO? It has two DVI outputs too...

Having 2 DVI outputs doesn't mean dual-link DVI (bolded for emphasis) alot of people assume it's the same, you need at least 1 dual-link DVI to support that large panel at good refresh rates. I would post the link to the actual card first before deciding and research thoroughly. You need dual-link DVI 2D power ot a gaming card. The X1600 series and even the X1300 would likely do all the 2D work you could ever throw at it. If you do absolutely no 3D work, and don't need to watch HD video, then I would say save money and get an X1300 if you can (however it will only have 1 dual-link DVI and 1 single-link DVI, whereas the X1600 has 2 dual-link DVI.

Just final question - do you think, that it make more sense to use it together with basic PCI card to run second monitor or X1600PRO will be able to drive both monitors OK?

For 2D you're fine, like I said even the X1300 would be able to handle 2 of those panels simultaneously at 90hz no problem for 2D. Only additonal things like HD video harware assisted acceleration MIGHT benifit from extra Oomph, but until the drivers arrive that show this right now the level of assist is about the same.

Sticking to one card really keep thing much cleaner driver wise (less risk of IRQ conflicts, PCI timing issues [especially if you overclock], and easier unified driver control [not competing with diferent generations for feature support]).

That would be my suggestiion, the X800 series while nice cards, would be a step down IMO when talking about 2D video. IMO, nothing currently beats the X1xxx for 2D quality, and I say that as a Big Matrox fan. I still think Matrox's software, developer and vendor programs are better for graphics artists, but on the hardware side of things ATi's in the lead right now. And if you're not using a program that is optimized for the MAtrox P series, then there's little point in paying more for a lesser card.

TomasTT

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks a lot!

I checked it and nobody has X1600PRO on stock and told me, that it looks like will be sometime in month or later... Unknown status. Cost is very good, around 120 EUR or so.

Only one card, what I can get easy now, is Sapphire ATI Radeon X850XT 256 VOVP AGP.
Specs are:

256MB of GDDR3 memory
256-bit memory interface
16 parallel pixel pipelines
PCI Express x16 lane native support
Dual display support
Dual integrated 400MHz DAC's
2048x1536 @ 85Hz Maximum Resolution
S-Video TV-out port

No details if this card is duallink DVI or not. Max resolution is exactly the same as for X1600PRO
And it cost about 300 EUR :(
But is NOW right on stock.

T.

TomasTT

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Just to finish the story - I got new X1600 AGB board (Sapphire) and it looks like problem is solved. It´s way faster even in Photoshop CS2.

Thanks for advice!

Tomas