[SOLVED] Hi so i have a cpu and motherboard that is pretty old and i just wanna know if is it possible to change it

khadkamon

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
Hi so i have a old motherboard and old cpu that it could only support 6th gen cpu such as i have an i5-6400 cpu this was an pre-build gaming pc and i just wanna change the motherboard and cpu with a new case so far for the other i have a gtx 1070 a new 650 ps new 16gb ddr4 ram with i bought 1 month ago i wanna re use those parts and my harddrive as well so i just wanna if thats possible .

Solution
I believe this is his PC:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/y700/Y700/p/99IC9Y70219

It already came with the GTX 1070, 16GB ram, a 450w PSU ect..

He wants to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, PSU (650w) and case.

He wants to know if he can re-use the rest of his system.

If what I've said so far is correct then yes, you should be fine.

Edit: from the looks of this picture you may be able to re-use the case if you want to also.
What pre-built PC do you have? Some have proprietary motherboards. other than that, what you ask is possible. You will probably need a new Windows license as most pre-built PCs come with windows that is tied to the motherboard, and can't legally be used with a new MB.

khadkamon

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
yea tbh it could be a problem i bought it for cheap price. Could you recommended me a good psu for the parts im gonna be getting and also a new case to go with it the case i have right now i is to small and also wanna upgrade that as well thnx again.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
We are missing some info. Many prebuilts use proprietary connections, that includes the power supply and front i/o. You have a new psu. What we don't know is if that's a new psu to fit your old stuff, or whether it's an aftermarket ATX standard.

Getting a new case, mobo, cpu is fine, most peripherals like gpu, storage etc are universal, they'll mount on anything, so that's an easy swap. The only issue will be with your copy of Windows. Pre-built OEMs like HP, Dell, Lenovo Sony etc have deals with Microsoft for the Windows. It too is proprietary to that motherboard. By replacing the motherboard with an aftermarket version, you'll almost certainly need a new registry key, one personilzed to you, not one registered to the pre-built OEM.

mgallo848

Commendable
I believe this is his PC:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/y700/Y700/p/99IC9Y70219

It already came with the GTX 1070, 16GB ram, a 450w PSU ect..

He wants to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, PSU (650w) and case.

He wants to know if he can re-use the rest of his system.

If what I've said so far is correct then yes, you should be fine.

Edit: from the looks of this picture you may be able to re-use the case if you want to also.

Solution