[SOLVED] Hi there, I have a case with usb 3.0 on front panel, but the motherboard doesnt have a usb 3.0 Header...

monkey4sale

Honorable
Apr 20, 2015
I only have one PCI slot available on the motherboard......so are there any PCI (NOT PCIe) cards available that will let me connect the front of case USB 3.0 Ports.....everywhere I look online all the expansion cards are only PCIe....which I dont have available. Thanks in advance!

Solution
There's a way to do this but it can get messy. There are plenty of 32-bit conventional PCI to USB 3.0 cards but alas, none of them come with a motherboard style 20-pin header. So you could get a two male USB 3.0 to header adapter like this
610mkW2YVIL._SX425_.jpg

and run it back into the case through a spare slotcover opening.

Keep in mind too that anything attached to such a card is not bootable, but at least you will be able to use the front ports at about 1Gbit speed (~133MB/s max for PCI, minus about 20% overhead) which is double the speed of USB 2.0
There's a way to do this but it can get messy. There are plenty of 32-bit conventional PCI to USB 3.0 cards but alas, none of them come with a motherboard style 20-pin header. So you could get a two male USB 3.0 to header adapter like this
610mkW2YVIL._SX425_.jpg

Keep in mind too that anything attached to such a card is not bootable, but at least you will be able to use the front ports at about 1Gbit speed (~133MB/s max for PCI, minus about 20% overhead) which is double the speed of USB 2.0

Solution

monkey4sale

Honorable
Apr 20, 2015
610mkW2YVIL._SX425_.jpg

Now this I had not thought about....so basically plug this into the rear usb port (which disables this port obviously and run this through a case opening and then attach the female front of case connector to the male end of this cable? Hmm. Thanks very much for the suggestion, it is indeed messy though :) If anybody else out there has used this method and has seen it proven to work then hit me up, cause i'd like to hear from ya!