Question Hi, using Intel's Matrix Storage Manager

Jul 5, 2019
I have a RAID 1 set up. I've fitted one formatted drive and installed an operating system on it successfully. the system is up and running.
What should the state of the second drive be, before I add it, and do I need to initiate a synchronisation procedure, or is that automatic.
Thanks
Chris

Jul 5, 2019
Hi popatim,
I had the mirror set up earlier.
A disk failed. There were too many important files there to risk losing.
I removed both disks, refitted a formatted drive of the same sze and then installed the os on it.
Bios reported the mirrored pair as degraded. Well it would.
I now want to add the other half of the pair, hence my question.
Once the RAID has caught up, and no longer reports Degraded, I can start transferring all my data back from the original disks.
So, what state should this second drive be in for the rebuild process to start?
How do i determine what the formatting is on the currently fitted drive, so that I can format the 2nd drive to be added in the same way, if that is deemed necessary?

How did you setup raid 1 when the 2nd drive isn't installed yet?

USAFRet

Titan
There were too many important files there to risk losing.
This requires other copies of this data.

Trying to rebuild an array with a new secondary drive, and not knowing the exact details of how it needs to be rebuilt, and doing it with the only copy of said data is a recipe for disaster.

Technically the RAID software should handle whatever formatting needs to happen. Slap in another drive, and it formats as needed, and rebuilds the array.

Again, however, I would absolutely not do this on the 'only' copy of this data.

Jul 5, 2019
Hi USAFRet,

"Trying to rebuild an array with a new secondary drive, and not knowing the exact details of how it needs to be rebuilt, and doing it with the only copy of said data is a recipe for disaster."

Agreed, whish is why I haven't done any of that.

A NEW drive was fitted, formatted and had an os installed.
I now want to add a second drive to the RAID PAIR.

I HAVE added a drive, the system sees it but the RAID makes no attempt to either format it or synchronise with the primary drive.

My data, is backed up on three different machines, running different operating systems, my data is safe, now, how do i get the second drive to synchronise?

popatim

Titan
If you have an external drive, I would make a copy of your data to it or just image the whole lone raid1 disk to it. This can serve as your backup copy. When you are down to only having 1 copy of important data then the first step is to make at least one more copy.

How was the Raid1 created?
  • in the raid Bios (ctrl+i during boot up. Motherboard sata ports would need to have been in raid mode)
  • in Disk Management or Windows Storage Spaces
Keep in mind the rebuild process will force the drives into a long read/write session putting the drives under stress. This heavy load can cause a drive to fail; again a backup is your first priority. Keep in mind sending the drive out for hardware repair & recovery could cost over $1000 vs an external drive that could be under $100

Jul 5, 2019
My data is safe. Forget my data.

The system has been running mirrored RAID for a few years.
The system failed during an os upgrade.

Both disks were removed and are safe. A new disk was formatted and fitted as part of the RAID pair. The new os was installed, significant parts of my data have successfully been transferred to the RAID singleton.

I now need to add the second drive to make up the working pair so, back to the question, how do i get RAID to initiate the rebuild?
As there does not appear to be a command to do this, what is the procedure?

popatim

Titan
How was the Raid1 created?
  • in the raid Bios (ctrl+i during boot up. Motherboard sata ports would need to have been in raid mode)
  • in Disk Management or Windows Storage Spaces
Try Pressing CTRL+I when prompted to during boot up.
This loads the Intel Raid firmware. It should detect the degraded array and the new drive and prompt you to rebuild. Use the arrow keys to highlight the drive and hit the Enter key. You will be brought back out the main Raid firmware screen and your raid 1 should say Rebuild for it's status instead of degraded. This does not mean it is rebuilding right now, it's scheduled for the next time you boot up so simply hit the Esc key and answer Y to begin. Depending ion the size of your drive this could take a very long time; let it finish!!

If your drive isn't listed as a Raid drive in the intel raid firmware then you'll need to let us know how you created the Array in the first place.

Jul 5, 2019
Try Pressing CTRL+I when prompted to during boot up.
This loads the Intel Raid firmware. It should detect the degraded array and the new drive and prompt you to rebuild. Use the arrow keys to highlight the drive and hit the Enter key. You will be brought back out the main Raid firmware screen and your raid 1 should say Rebuild for it's status instead of degraded. This does not mean it is rebuilding right now, it's scheduled for the next time you boot up so simply hit the Esc key and answer Y to begin. Depending ion the size of your drive this could take a very long time; let it finish!!

If your drive isn't listed as a Raid drive in the intel raid firmware then you'll need to let us know how you created the Array in the first place.

Hi popatim,

"How was the RAID 1 created?"

Some years ago, using standard procedures. RAID enabled in the BIOS, each drive marked for recognition in the BIOS as well.

RAID 1 has been in place and working well since then.

I am familiar with the Intel software but am not able to find the commands you identify nor am I able to select a disk!

I want to add a picture here but see no options to be able to do that!

So, my options are:

1/ Create RAID volume
2/ Delete RAID volume
3/ Reset disks to non-RAID
4/. Recovery volume options
5/ Exit

And the option 4/ offers:

1/ Enable only recovery disk
2/. Enable only master disk

In the Ctrl I screen it is not possible to get out of this block of five options and into the block which holds the disk's status, therefore I am unable to select a disk.

How can I add a picture? The seemingly simple 'Add a picture' icon just asks for an http:// url

Regards

Chris

Jul 5, 2019
Hi popatim,
"How was the RAID 1 created?"

Some years ago, using standard procedures. RAID enabled in the BIOS, each drive marked for recognition in the BIOS as well.

RAID 1 has been in place and working well since then.

I am familiar with the Intel software but am not able to find the commands you identify nor am I able to select a disk!

I want to add a picture here but see no options to be able to do that!

So, my options are:
1/ Create RAID volume
2/ Delete RAID volume
3/ Reset disks to non-RAID
4/. Recovery volume options
5/ Exit

And the option 4/ offers:
1/ Enable only recovery disk
2/. Enable only master disk

In the Ctrl I screen it is not possible to get out of this block of five options and into the block which holds the disk's status, therefore I am unable to select a disk.

How can I add a picture?

Regards

Chris