hidden restore on Inspiron 7000

Below is a quote from a previous message:

The "hiden disk" is actually a compresed image that is stored on the hdd
in a hidden image. It does not permanently occupy the hdd space, it
sacrifices itself as you fill up your hdd, so it's not a permanent loss
of hdd space.

Where is this located and how can I restore my Inspiron 7000 to the
original condition?

jozien

"Joe Zien" <jozien@cybercomm.net> wrote in message
> Below is a quote from a previous message:
>
> The "hiden disk" is actually a compresed image that is stored on the hdd
> in a hidden image. It does not permanently occupy the hdd space, it
> sacrifices itself as you fill up your hdd, so it's not a permanent loss
> of hdd space.
>
> Where is this located and how can I restore my Inspiron 7000 to the
> original condition?
>
> jozien

Ain't there. Unless you originally had Windows Me and even then it's likely
become corrupted or damaged over the years.

The machine would've had the ztech/zztop.exe restore image on the drive (if
a Win98 or WinMe system).

Stew

Mike

Splendid

No restore zztop w/ XP?

Mike

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> No restore zztop w/ XP?
>
> Mike

Nope. XP systems (at least Dimension desktops) have a different but similar
utility, but it wasn't added until sometime mid-04'. There was no
'restore/hidden image' function for quite a while once ME ended and until
last year.

Stew

Mike

Splendid

What is the new hidden utility called?

Mike

> What is the new hidden utility called?
>
> Mike

It appears in fdisk as the "CP /M" (I think) partition. I've also seen it
referred to over on the website community forum as the "DSR" (Dell system
restore) partition.

Stew