Hididing Options.........

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I tried exactly according to these instruction.

I created OU then a group in the OU and then created policies and then I
put a user to this group

When i log in from a machine with this user I observer two things

1. Logon is very slow and taking too much time to get profile details.
2. What ever I enabled/disabled in policy its not there everything is same
as normal without policy.

I think this problem is related to DNS .

Any suggestion or advise please

Regards

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> In Windows 2000 you use Active Directory Users and Computers - Group
Policy

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/evaluate/featfunc/introgp.mspx

> Doug Sherman
> MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>

> "F@yy@Z" <fayyaz.ahmed@mvwebmaker.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have Windows 2000 network with active directory, user roaming profile
> and
> > a network drive for users (pointing to a folder on a particular
machine).

> > I want to hide these options for some user irrespect of machine where
user
> > loged in.
> >
> > * Hide Run
> > * Hide MyComputer
> > * Hide Control Pannel
> > * Hide network neighbour
> > * Hide C Drive (Local drive of Machine)
> > * User cannot save his data on (My Documents) of Local Machine only on
his
> > network drive in his profile.
> > * Hide CD ROM and Floppy.
> >
> > I remember these (may be some) were possbile in NT 4.0 but I dont know
> about
> > 2000 how to do this.
> >
> > Can some one advise how to do this
> >

> > I will be very thankfull.
> >

> > Kind Regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

no no no silly rabbit, dns has nothing to do with it, you either have a higher level gpo overriding
your created gpo, or the domain has the no override box chked, go into your gpo and chk the block pol inheret, and chk your domain gpo's, as for the time the more you tweak this and that the longer it will take to boot, what kind of connection (network) how many dc's? is there only one dc doing the authentication? to speed things up you could do a local profile on the computer in question, that would speed things up a bit

"F@yy@Z" wrote:

> I tried exactly according to these instruction.
>
> I created OU then a group in the OU and then created policies and then I
> put a user to this group
>
> When i log in from a machine with this user I observer two things
>
> 1. Logon is very slow and taking too much time to get profile details.
> 2. What ever I enabled/disabled in policy its not there everything is same
> as normal without policy.
>
> I think this problem is related to DNS .
>
> Any suggestion or advise please
>

> Regards
>

> "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <dsherman@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > In Windows 2000 you use Active Directory Users and Computers - Group
> Policy
> > to control these settings. Most of the ones you are interested in are
> found
> > in User Configuration/Administrative Templates. Strongly suggest you
> create
> > a Test OU with some test users in order to experiment with this before you
> > modify any default policies. See:
> >

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/evaluate/featfunc/introgp.mspx
> >
> > Doug Sherman
> > MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> >

> > "F@yy@Z" <fayyaz.ahmed@mvwebmaker.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > I have Windows 2000 network with active directory, user roaming profile
> > and
> > > a network drive for users (pointing to a folder on a particular
> machine).
> > >
> > > I want to hide these options for some user irrespect of machine where
> user
> > > loged in.
> > >
> > > * Hide Run
> > > * Hide MyComputer
> > > * Hide Control Pannel
> > > * Hide network neighbour
> > > * Hide C Drive (Local drive of Machine)
> > > * User cannot save his data on (My Documents) of Local Machine only on
> his
> > > network drive in his profile.
> > > * Hide CD ROM and Floppy.
> > >
> > > I remember these (may be some) were possbile in NT 4.0 but I dont know
> > about
> > > 2000 how to do this.
> > >
> > > Can some one advise how to do this
> > >

> > > I will be very thankfull.
> > >

> > > Kind Regards

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

GOD NO IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DNS, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT IDEA?
you either have a higher level gpo overriding or the domain lvl is set to no override, go to your
gpo and chk the box that says either no override or block pol inheret, chk domain and un chk no override. other than that you did it right , now the more you tweak the longer the boot time, now you could create a local profile on the computer in question, that would speed things up a bit