High airflow with low noise fan for rear exhaust

m150

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017
Hi All,

I'm looking for a high airflow fan (120mm or 140mm) for rear exhaust with as less noise as possible. Please help to share your recommendation or review if any. Great thanks.

Solution
The Arctic F12 PWM is quiet and gets good airflow and decent static pressure. I have them and find they are very quiet. Two of them keep my i5-3570K @4.2Ghz and GeForce GTX 970 cool.

The third graph is sorted by SPL. The Arctic F12 is one of the quietest with good airflow. That's what made me go with them. I'm happy I did.
http://www.overclockers.com/pwm-fan-roundup-twenty-four-120-mm-case-fans-tested/

This is the model I have.
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F12-PWM-PST-Technology/dp/B002QVLBM2/

I bought them in a five pack and replaced the fans in other computers. You could also potentially add more fans or replace your current fans. As for adding more fans. If you are generating a lot of heat. Two fans running at a low RPM are quieter than one fan at a high RPM.
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F12-PWM-PST-Technology/dp/B00NTUJTAK/

For quiet fan research, go to www.silentpcreview.com

But, let me try to find out first, what you are trying to accomplish?

What is your case?
What cpu and gpu do you have?
What is your current fan arrangement?

The quietest rear fan arrangement is no exhaust fan at all.
Whatever comes in the front will exit somewhere taking heat with it.

m150

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017

Those charts are quite hard to read... but thanks for your great suggestion. I've heard some good comments about Arctic fan as well.

My case: https://www.amazon.com/anidees-AI-05S-BW-Silent-support-Radiator/dp/B01N0YI9VU
My CPU & VGA: i7 8700 + MSI 1080 Gaming X
Current fan arrangement: 2 front intake, 1 rear exhaust. I plan to purchase 2 more for top exhaust but worry that it gonna be too noisy.

Your parts are not particularly heat intensive.
I7-8700 is not overclockable, so a standard tower type air cooler with a 120mm fan is all you need.
Scythe kotetsu is one of the most efficient and quietest if you have 160mm available.
Here is a review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1391-page1.html
If you have only 145mm available, the cryorig H7 is also good.

Your current arrangement of two front 120mm intakes will supply all the cooling your rig requires.
The single 120mm rear exhaust is useful only for directing the airflow.

Adding fans can only increase noise.
Do not do that without a good reason.

If you want to reduce noise, you can undervolt the fans to make them run slower and still get adequate cooling.
Ultimately, it is the higher rpm that makes noise.
There are secondary effects such as quality of the sound which can be reduced with better quality fans.

Your rig should be all but inaudible as is if you use a decent cpu cooler instead of the stock intel cooler.

Each chart is the same. They are just sorted by free airflow, restricted airflow (static pressure test) and noise. Each chart contains all three data points. Just sorted for convenience.

The five pack will certainly take care of that rig. Although I think you'll only need one rear and two front. As it costs the same as buying three individually. May as well get the five pack just in case they are needed or to put in something else. If you have another computer sitting around.

They kept a 5 GPU mining rig cool. That was with the added load of pulling air through a MERV 12 HEPA filter.

m150

Reputable
Nov 5, 2017

My parts are not really heat-intensive, but my room temp is quite hot (around 30-35°C) and when gaming, my CPU & VGA heat up to 70-80°C. Interestingly, I found out that increasing the speed of my 2 front-intake fans to the maximum did not help anything to my CPU & VGA temp under load :( My friend told me that the rear fan could help... and that's why I'm looking for a high airflow with low noise fan for the rear exhaust (not really inaudible... but as quiet as possible).

P.S: I'm having Deepcool Gammaxx 400 as CPU cooler

Thanks. Still cannot understand why San Ace “Silent” is among the 2 "clear winners" !? Higher dB and lower CFM than Arctic F12, but still better??

And the Nidec Gentle Typhoon PWM looks impressive via that chart (30.5 dB but 101 CFM)... but how about its noise in real-life? Is 30dB too noisy?

The Deepcool Gammax (any other Deepcool heatsink) are some of the worst equipment you can buy. It is also underpowered for the i7-8700. You'd get much lower temps and lower fan load running a Scythe Mugen 5, Thermalright Macho Direct or Cryorig H5 Universal. The Scythe and Thermalright are better but many feel the Cryorig looks nicer. The Thermalright is the best of the mid range coolers it even beats many high end units in cooling and low noise. This will make a bigger difference than expensive case fans. Consider killing two birds with one stone. Replace the Deepcool with a Corsair liquid cooler then rear mount it or top mount it. Depending on size. You get your exhaust fan/fans and a much better CPU cooler.

Since you have front case fans only. You should have positive air pressure. Just try sealing up the top vents with some paper and tape. Then remove the PCI slot covers. See how that affects your GPU temps. Run Unigine Valley for an hour as it is now and check the temps. Then try again with my suggested changes and check it after an hour. Leave the sides of the case on during your testing. Also feel if you are getting airflow out the slots.

If you have a PCI card right next to your GPU. Move it to the lowest slot you can or better yet above it if you can. Before either test.

The Gentle Typhoon runs at a much higher RPM. 30.5dB will be noticeably louder. The higher RPM also mean a higher pitch. Making it louder and more annoying. Lower RPM fans have a gentle hum.

Can't say why they chose the San Ace Silent. Perhaps they liked the CFM to dB ratio.

Solution