[SOLVED] High amount of data written on ssd in short time

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Hey guys, my samsung ssd (250GB) have 9.5TB written on it in its 547 days of usage, samsung magician says its all ok but I'd like to know why and where those huge data coming from. I did a quick google search about this, have 16GB system ram, shadowplay set to my HDD long ago including its temp folder. So I have no idea, but I noticed after a Windows 10 update (from 1803 to 1809) it is increased to 9.5TB which was 9.3TB as far as I remember. What should I do, this is my Windows drive so I'm concerned of a crash in near future. My all games are also on my second hard disk.

Solution
"huge data "? 9.5TB in 547 days (1.5 yrs)? That is very very normal, maybe even a bit light.
My current boot drive, 500GB 850 EVO, has 24.2TB in 958 days (2.6 yrs).

This is absolutely normal, and well within typical consumer usage.

Assuming yours is a 250GB 850 EVO, the warranty is "5 years or 75 TBW "
You've used 12% of the warranty TBW so far.
With your current use rate, you won't reach the 75TBW warranty limit until 2029.

And these drives have been wear tested to last well into the 'hundreds of TB' range.

popatim

Titan
Windows downloads updates to your C: drive (windows\softwareDistibution). So the downloaded files use up writes. Then windows installs then which involves expanding the compressed files ( temp folder if they dont fit into ram (i think?)= more writes) and putting them where they need to go = even more writes being used.

USAFRet

Titan
"huge data "? 9.5TB in 547 days (1.5 yrs)? That is very very normal, maybe even a bit light.

With your current use rate, you won't reach the 75TBW warranty limit until 2029.

And these drives have been wear tested to last well into the 'hundreds of TB' range.

Solution

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019

Thank you very much for detailed info, my ssd is 750 EVO, it is awesome to know everything is in order with my disk.

Also I was wondering it is a good idea to run "optimize" via Windows 10 panel? Its helps in any way? or I can use defraggler too if Windows's tool is invalid, defraggler does both optimize and defrag but I never did run on my SSD, using that program only for my hard disks every 2-3 months. It is necessary to run it on SSDs? like for re-increasing the speed like I usually do on my HDDs? Thanks

D

Deleted member 14196

Do not ever use a defragger Of any kind on windows 10 with an SSD. Windows 10 knows how to optimize the SSD automatically and there’s nothing you need to do