High and fluctuating temps

James90n

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
Hello,

I have been suffering from cpu temp problems for a while now. (although most of the time has been spent waiting for parts to be shipped, more on that later.)

After an overheat, I used Speccy to check my cpu temp. It was very high and fluctuating wildly. After booting enough to get Speccy running, it showed 65c spiking up to 70s, and even climbing into the 80s. I shut down after a 100c spike... All of this was within about 10 miniutes of monitoring temps while otherwise idling.

I didn't boot it till the next day, and Speccy still showed high 70s, and still changing wildly. It would still start in the mid to high 60s, and just keep going up overall.

I got and applied some thermal paste thinking its few years of running made it wear out. Probably not, though, as there was no change afterward.

I then ordered a new cpu cooler, thinking it went bad. Turns out it didn't fit, so I went crazy and got a new case, motherboard and different new cpu cooler. The mb I got was a size upgrade from either micro or mini atx (I don't remember which) to regular atx, hoping it would give me more space for a better cpu cooler; which ended up working out. The case I got was the Cooler Master 5 Pro which came with 3 120mm fans. The cooler was Cooler Master Hyper T3.

Anyway, upgrading my cooler, a fan from quite small to 120mm, and getting 2 extra 120mm fans did help a bit, but not that much.

After assembling these upgrades and checking Speccy again, it looked promising, starting in the high 50s. It went up to the 60s, which isn't surprising really: the laptop I'm using right now stays a very stable 60-65 in a very hot room. (The difference is that this laptop isnt idling...) Anyway, it went up to 70s before rapidly going back down to high 50s, but only to start the fluctuation again.

So before the upgrades, the temps were 65-75 with higher spikes which led to spiraling out of control I guess; after the upgrades, the temps are 55-70, very rarely seeing a very low 80. Either way it jumps wildly while my laptop is very stable.

I don't know if these are related, but I plugged my phone into the usb to charge and Speccy reported a spike into the 70s, except this time it wouldn't go back down. Note, ALL of this is while idling.

I've seen various threads about people worried about fluctuations, but they all seemed to have very low temps, sub 50. I just can't figure out why my temps are so high, even with new parts.

The rest ofmy specs:
AMD A10 cpu
Asrock A88X mb (previously MSI; I do not remember the model number but it ended in E35)
G.Skill ram
MSI R7 250 gfx

Any help?

James90n

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
Update: I adjusted fan speed settings in BIOS and after watching the temp for a while idle and while even watching youtube at 1080p on full screen 1920x1080, the temp is a lot more stable. ~58c idling and mid 60s with the vid playing.

I set the fan speed to 75% at 50c; 90% at 60; 95% at 70; and 100% 75 and higher. I do still get the random spikes above 70, where it jumps 10-15 degrees, but overall much more stable than before.

Remaining issue is then, is it still running abnormally high given my specs?