Question High clock speed with 3% cpu usage !!

Oct 2, 2019
Hi, i recently reinstalled the windows and after the installation i noticed that the cpu usage is so high when gaming (100% usage), and i noticed also that in the idle the clock speed is high (1.7Ghz) with 3% to 9% cpu usage!
PS: before the windows reinstalling the cpu was working perfectly !.

CPU : Intel Pentium G4400 3.30Ghz
is that normal ? need help plz !!!!!!!!!

2dc41dd8764835d29748141f4179997a-full.png

" the cpu usage is so high when gaming (100% usage), and i noticed also that in the idle the clock speed is high (1.7Ghz) with 3% to 9% cpu usage! "

This may be normal.
That CPU isn't very fast....so to see 100% usage in certain games may be normal.
....and I don't find anything odd with your conditions at idle.

Reactions: Rdslw and Phaaze88
Oct 2, 2019
" the cpu usage is so high when gaming (100% usage), and i noticed also that in the idle the clock speed is high (1.7Ghz) with 3% to 9% cpu usage! "

This may be normal.
That CPU isn't very fast....so to see 100% usage in certain games may be normal.
....and I don't find anything odd with your conditions at idle.
Thnaks for the reply , but before i was playing Fortnite on 60fps with 75-80% cpu usage but right now i'm getting a 100% usage all the time .

Just for case peek in process list which processes have largest CPU usage. I guess about Windows Update / BITS services and some other automatic update services and antivirus background scans who both are happy to borrow free CPU cycles during user idle. By the way active Task Manager may eat some 20..25% CPU as well.

Oct 2, 2019
Just for case peek in process list which processes have largest CPU usage. I guess about Windows Update / BITS services and some other automatic update services and antivirus background scans who both are happy to borrow free CPU cycles during user idle. By the way active Task Manager may eat some 20..25% CPU as well.
Thanks for the reply, firstly, i have windows up to date and i'm already deactivated the BITS services, and i'm not using any antivirus, just the windows defender but i'm still suffering from high cpu usage while gaming.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Did you install all your drivers after Windows install? At minimum I'd do chipset and GPU drivers, probably also want LAN/wifi, SATA (Intel RST), and audio codec drivers. Get GPU drivers from the GPU manufacturer (AMD, Nvidia, or Intel), everything else from your motherboard's support page.

Oct 2, 2019
Did you install all your drivers after Windows install? At minimum I'd do chipset and GPU drivers, probably also want LAN/wifi, SATA (Intel RST), and audio codec drivers. Get GPU drivers from the GPU manufacturer (AMD, Nvidia, or Intel), everything else from your motherboard's support page.
I did all of that but still having the issue.

Oct 2, 2019
So what issue exactly, besides high CPU usage (which is expected)? You mention crashing, when does it crash? Do you get a bluescreen, PC suddenly shuts off, or what?
i mean crashing while gaming (lag, fps drop, stuttering...) .... it was not crashing before .

PC specs :GPU : Gigabyte Gtx 1050 2GB
CPU :Intel Pentium G4400
8Gb Ram DDR4 HyperX
Motherboard : Msi 110M Pro-VH
PSU : EVGA 550W 100-N1-0550-L1
Temp : 80 Celcius for CPU and 65-70 For GPU

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
i mean crashing while gaming (lag, fps drop, stuttering...) .... it was not crashing before .
Lag, fps drops, and stuttering are not the same as crashing. So is it actually crashing, or are you just getting stuttering and poor performance?

What are your full system specs? GPU, motherboard, RAM amount/configuration.
What exact make/model is your PSU? If you don't know take a picture of the label on the side of the power supply and post it.

What are max CPU/GPU temps while gaming (or whatever other scenario you're experiencing issues in)?

Oct 2, 2019
Lag, fps drops, and stuttering are not the same as crashing. So is it actually crashing, or are you just getting stuttering and poor performance?

What are your full system specs? GPU, motherboard, RAM amount/configuration.
What exact make/model is your PSU? If you don't know take a picture of the label on the side of the power supply and post it.

What are max CPU/GPU temps while gaming (or whatever other scenario you're experiencing issues in)?
I'm getting lag and stuttering and crashing, sometimes all windows crashes when gaming , i don't care about lag and stuttering, i'm just suferring from the 100% usage and the crash
My specs are in my last comment

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What did you do in the past? Did you just install and play the game, or did you look up some tweaks and tricks? Did you reinstall the game?

You have a 2 core/2 thread cpu. Modern games want 4 threads +. Very few still run well on a dual core cpu. Fortnite isn't one of them. There's something, some setting in nvidia control panel or GeForce Experience that you've missed. Something you had before, that the reinstall of Windows wiped out or changed back.

Oct 2, 2019
What did you do in the past? Did you just install and play the game, or did you look up some tweaks and tricks? Did you reinstall the game?

You have a 2 core/2 thread cpu. Modern games want 4 threads +. Very few still run well on a dual core cpu. Fortnite isn't one of them. There's something, some setting in nvidia control panel or GeForce Experience that you've missed. Something you had before, that the reinstall of Windows wiped out or changed back.
I don't remember if i've done that , but i tried to reinstall the game and still facing the problem .
and i told that many times that the cpu was working perfectly with fortnite or any game, i don't know whats wrong with it after reinstalling windows!