Question High CPU temp and then reboot.

Mar 6, 2019
Hi, so a moment ago i decided to test my cpu temperature under 100% load using Aida64, i started the test and temp went up pretty quickly and after almost 3 minutes the cpu temp went up to 84°C and the pc rebooted. Before this i changed the thermal paste because my pc always rebooted and fixed the problem. I tried out different tests and i got the same results, the cpu temp never stops rising until it gets to 80°C - 85°C and reboots. Is there anything i can do to fix this? My cpu is an AMD FX-4200.

UPDATE: After looking for a way to fix this reading forums here and there, i just decided to take apart my cpu cooler and realized i put too much thermal paste the last timetime i changed it, lucky for me it went up the sides of the heatsink and left almost anything on the cpu. I cleaned everything carefully and reapplied the perfect amount of thermal paste on the way in should be (A little dot) and that fixed everything. I'm running the stress test for 20 minutes now and so far i got a minimum of 75.5°C and a maximum of 77.8°C and working between that just perfect.

For anyone who is getting this problem i recommend trying this out.

Last edited:

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
room temp keep it cool take cover off tower use box fan to blow in cool air your gpu has nonthing to do with your cpu and thermal paste dose very little to help a fx cpu dose run very hot these cpu are very powerful i have the same sets i never mess with the thermal paste i use box fans no mater what cooler you use your cpu will still get very hot the only way to keep it cool is to suck out hot air and blow in cold air lots of it i have amd rx 80 not very fast but it still dos well if you have a 8 core system try putting your games in software mode software uses cpu hardware uses gpu u only get one choice some games are hardware only software on a fx cpu is a lot faster then that a low end gpu

Last edited:

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
cpu works when its useng software mode gpu uses hardware some games will not use your gpu at all except for display only this is because its useing cc or dx software thats cpu only now if its useing vulcan amd cards it will use your gpu that card you order is a vulcan gpu cc as well but again cc uses ur gpu but not your gpus descreate cpu

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
download this you cal see whats its doing https://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/
this will show you what im talking about it can show u log during game plays its very helpul and very educateing you have to watch the status during game play if u play in windows mode you can see whats it doing in your taskbar the only way you see your gpu use its full speed is when u use dx hardware or vulken

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019
download this you cal see whats its doing https://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/
this will show you what im talking about it can show u log during game plays its very helpul and very educateing you have to watch the status during game play if u play in windows mode you can see whats it doing in your taskbar the only way you see your gpu use its full speed is when u use dx hardware or vulken
Thank you for the info men, already fixed my problem.