[SOLVED] High CPU temp on idle

Nov 24, 2021
I have a Ryzen 5 2600 with a Kraken m22 AIO. My CPUs idle temp has been around 90c for awhile now and I just decided to get some new thermal paste to hopefully solve the problem. I just applied new thermal paste (a pea sized amount), put everything back together and started my computer and it's running even hotter at 95c. I don't know what else I can do, I've lowered the clock speed to 2600mhz and still not much lower, I've cleaned my fans and radiator and still nothing. I just really hope someone can help me so my cpu doesn't fry. thx

Solution
Sadly I dont have the stock cooler anymore but I was thinking about purchasing the cooler master hyper 212 BE because I heard it was good for the ryzen 2600

Its a very decent cooler, you could even use it on a Ryzen 5 3600/X, R7 3700X, R5 5600G/X, R7 5700G or the Core i5 10400/11400 (and many others).

And yes I agree with Zerk2012, its a good idea to stop using the system till you have a working cooler.

Are you positive the pump is well installed over the CPU?, How old is this AIO?
I have a Ryzen 5 2600 with a Kraken m22 AIO. My CPUs idle temp has been around 90c for awhile now and I just decided to get some new thermal paste to hopefully solve the problem. I just applied new thermal paste (a pea sized amount), put everything back together and started my computer and it's running even hotter at 95c. I don't know what else I can do, I've lowered the clock speed to 2600mhz and still not much lower, I've cleaned my fans and radiator and still nothing. I just really hope someone can help me so my cpu doesn't fry. thx

Hey there,

I'm no expert, as I've only just gotten my first AIO cooler, but it would appear to me that the pump in the Kraken may not be working. Do you have software that monitors the pump?

Reactions: RodroX

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like a dead pump.
If you have the stock cooler you can put it on.

Reactions: RodroX
Nov 24, 2021
Hey there,

I'm no expert, as I've only just gotten my first AIO cooler, but it would appear to me that the pump in the Kraken may not be working. Do you have software that monitors the pump?
I have Msi Dragon Center and it says the "PUMP fan" is running at 3600rpm. It also shows "SYS fan" which is running at 0 rpm but I dont know what the SYS fan is

Sadly I dont have the stock cooler anymore but I was thinking about purchasing the cooler master hyper 212 BE because I heard it was good for the ryzen 2600

Its a very decent cooler, you could even use it on a Ryzen 5 3600/X, R7 3700X, R5 5600G/X, R7 5700G or the Core i5 10400/11400 (and many others).

And yes I agree with Zerk2012, its a good idea to stop using the system till you have a working cooler.

Are you positive the pump is well installed over the CPU?, How old is this AIO?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Be careful with the Hyper 212. I used one on my first build and there was interference with the fan and my first RAM stick. I had to remount the fan on the opposite side in a pull configuration. I recently bought a Be Quiet Dark Rock Slim and it fit perfectly without any RAM interference. They have a couple of different models of Be Quiet coolers and a pretty handy comparison chart on their website.

If your software says the pump is running can you feel a slight vibration in either hose or does one feel warmer than the other?

Edit: My Hyper 212 was one of the older ones. I don't know if the BE has clearance issues. Either way, Noctua and Be Quiet are typically recommended over the Hyper 212.

Obvious question, did you make sure the fan on the AIO is spinning?

Last edited: