Question High CPU temp with custom loop.

zalex820

Honorable
Jun 6, 2014
i7 8700k CPU running around 90c when stressing, Machine had customer loop hardline g1/4 fitting, 16 mm tubing, 480mm rad. Loop cools GPU as well and GPU temps about hover around 40c during same stress test.

480MM Rad, i have a flow indicator so I know the pumps pumping. how would i fix it if it was a CPU lid issue?

pic 1
pic 2

How old is the fluid and loop overall? If old, check your block's micro-fins to see if there's gunking in it.

If the block is clean then the way to check your cpu's IHS is to take it out and place it IHS down on a true flat surface and spin it. If it spins like a fidget spinner or at least has some decent rotation, then it's not flat. You'll ned to use any kind of sandpaper and just scrape it till it's flat.

whats ur gpu? specs pls... ur temps doesnt seem right... cpu temps at 90 shows ur processor is running at close to approx 100% where as ur gpu seems to be not performing....
pls list ur complete specs with total liquid cooling loop...

zalex820

Honorable
Jun 6, 2014
whats ur gpu? specs pls... ur temps doesnt seem right... cpu temps at 90 shows ur processor is running at close to approx 100% where as ur gpu seems to be not performing....
pls list ur complete specs with total liquid cooling loop...

Test results

SPECS
Windows 10 pro
Case: Thermaltake p90
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
CPU: I7 - 8700K
CPU Block: EKWB EK-Velocity
Ram: Trident Z RGB 16GB
PSU: EVGA Super Nova 1300G2
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti DUKE 11G
Radiator: EK 480 W/ 4 120mm fans
Pump: PrimoChill D5 (PWM)
Res: Heat killer
Tubing: 16MM OD
SSD: 120GB M.2 (boot drive) 512GB M.2
HDD: 1TB

zalex820

Honorable
Jun 6, 2014
How old is the fluid and loop overall? If old, check your block's micro-fins to see if there's gunking in it.

If the block is clean then the way to check your cpu's IHS is to take it out and place it IHS down on a true flat surface and spin it. If it spins like a fidget spinner or at least has some decent rotation, then it's not flat. You'll ned to use any kind of sandpaper and just scrape it till it's flat.
I thought about doing that but wouldn't that void the warranty?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
8700k is known to run quite warm unless you delid and use something better than the junk Intel paste. If CPU temps immediately drop once the benchmarks are over and if the GPU doesn't get warm during graphics benchmarks, it is likely limited to the design of your CPU. You can thank intel for not using solder or better compound.

You have some choices:

1) accept that the benchmarks you are running are not indicative of real-world applications or loads and move on with life

2) delid the CPU and use better thermal paste like thermal grizzly conductonaut to make it a benchmarking queen

3) change CPU and motherboard out for something different

zalex820

Honorable
Jun 6, 2014
8700k is known to run quite warm unless you delid and use something better than the junk Intel paste. If CPU temps immediately drop once the benchmarks are over and if the GPU doesn't get warm during graphics benchmarks, it is likely limited to the design of your CPU. You can thank intel for not using solder or better compound.

You have some choices:

1) accept that the benchmarks you are running are not indicative of real-world applications or loads and move on with life

2) delid the CPU and use better thermal paste like thermal grizzly conductonaut to make it a benchmarking queen

3) change CPU and motherboard out for something different

yup, sounds like a delid is in order. Thanks

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I don't see this as needing to be done unless the intent is for the CPU to always be benchmarked or used primarily for synthetic scores.

Otherwise, in the real world, there isn't a real reason to go this route unless someone wants to see those temps running much lower, even on moderately taxing tasks.

Delidding is a big decision for a novice, and basing it purely on temperatures from benchmarking software needs to also have some real, logical considerations taken into account.

zalex820

Honorable
Jun 6, 2014
I don't see this as needing to be done unless the intent is for the CPU to always be benchmarked or used primarily for synthetic scores.

Otherwise, in the real world, there isn't a real reason to go this route unless someone wants to see those temps running much lower, even on moderately taxing tasks.

Delidding is a big decision for a novice, and basing it purely on temperatures from benchmarking software needs to also have some real, logical considerations taken into account.
Sounds like because I'm running benchmark that I don't need to worry about that considering real work won't be as hot. However I still cant figure out why system does not see one of my m.2 unless I turn off psu and turn it back on then it sees it for a few boots then the problem starts again and performance goes down until I reset psu again. Any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS