Question High CPU temperature with NEW Omen Laptop

Mar 26, 2021
Hi there!

So I literally got my OMEN a few hours ago today (26/03/2021), I love it and everything that it is doing.
However, I noticed that even when the laptop was idle, or when I was just checking an email, the fans were quite audible. I checked the temperature on OMEN Gaming Hub and even when it is idle the CPU temperature is relatively high - never less than 57 degrees (Celsius). My question was firstly, is this normal for this? I understand if I am gaming or doing something but when doing nothing, should the fan be audible, and should the temperatures be high? My fan is also audible during comfort mode.

I have ensured that everything is up to date. I also contacted a member of HP support where I was taken through a range of tests and things to do including:
  1. Powering off, pressing the mute button whilst holding the power, before powering it back on.
  2. Component tests including: System Board Test, Fan Speed and Fan Thermal Test (all passed).
  3. A few times 'restarting to help find out what is up'
Seems that everything was fine, and makes sense, so I'm just wondering, is there a fix, or is this a hardware problem that I return it back (I bought the three year warranty with this as well)?

EDIT: I forgot to mention this but I have an OMEN Laptop - 15-en0008na with AMD Ryzen 7 4800H.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is the new normal for gaming laptops with high powered Intel CPUs. You are going to be really impressed when you start gaming on your gaming laptop and the temps are constantly at 90°C with the fans howling.

When idle, open the Task Manager, go to the Details tab and see how idle your computer really is. Some new computers have a lot of junk already running in the background.

wQCxPaf.png

Mar 26, 2021
Unfortunately this is the new normal for gaming laptops with high powered Intel CPUs. You are going to be really impressed when you start gaming on your gaming laptop and the temps are constantly at 90°C with the fans howling.

When idle, open the Task Manager, go to the Details tab and see how idle your computer really is. Some new computers have a lot of junk already running in the background.

wQCxPaf.png

Hey! Thanks for your response to my query.
Mine is the OMEN Laptop - 15-en0008na with AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, so I'm not sure if that is the same. I've been looking at other reviews (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...-2020-has-high-CPU-temps-on-idle/td-p/7786426 and https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01007591) and other online videos (e.g.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVZbZaoPjdw&t=62s
) seem to not have fan issues / high temperature CPU issues when idle.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021
Hey Fabulash,

I have had the exact HP Omen gaming laptop with the Ryzen 7 4800H CPU and the RTX 2060 GPU. And yes on idle the CPU system idle processors are above 90. However, I have yet to have any issues when gaming. I play Call of Duty Warzone daily and my CPU Temps never go above 68.

The fans are fantastic although a little noisy, but, these are gaming laptops and HP has done a great job with the internals to ensure they do not over heat. So far so good on to my next COD Warzone win.....