CPU: Intel I5 4690k (not overclocked)
CPU COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 ELC-LT240-HP
THERMAL PASTE: Arctic MX-4
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970
MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
PSU: Antec 750W
RAM: KINGSTON HYPER X 2400MHZ 24GB
CASE: Aerocool XPREDATOR X3

3 or 4 months I started having problems with the cpu's temperature. It reaches 90-100 celsius in gaming, going in thermal protection (this causes HUGE FPS drop in game), and 55 celsius in idle.
the temperature rises up in seconds from 50 to 80 to 100-90 degrees
I'm using CPUID HWmonitor and msi afterburner to read this value.

I first checked If the thermal paste was applied correctly and it actually was, after that I checked the pump and is working correctly. I cleaned the radiator meticulously form the accumulated dust, I even checked all system fan and cleaned them and they're working correctly too.
I noticed that If the thermalpaste is replaced, the temperature drops from 5 to 10 celsius but by doing this it only improves the situation for a couple of days, then temperature rises up again to the previous situation.

I want you to know that when I first bought the pc cpu temperature where a lot lower than now (30 degrees in idle to 65 degrees in full load).

Could you guys please help me to find a soulition? I'm struggling to find something usefull

Thanks.

Solution
The watercooler may have failed.
I will shake a little to dislodge any object that maybe blocking the liquid flow...but that is not a permanent solution.

EVGA CLC 280 Liquid
CORSAIR HYDRO Series H100i
CRYORIG H7
Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
Re-Mounting your cooler improves cooling. Can it be that the backplate or screws do not hold over time? It sound like a mechanical problem to me.
Borrowing or buying a new cooler would obviously solve the riddle. Do you need any recommendations?

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
Possible problems:
1) Bad contact between cooler and CPU. Check your installation and make sure the screws are holding as stated above.
2) Pump failure. How do you know you have good flow? Does your radiator get warm?
3) Fan issue. It looks like it's difficult to set the fan rpm range on this unit, but I'd recommend setting them to the highest level (some switch on the fan/radiator assembly?). Crank everything to the max and if that solves your problem, then back off to an 'acceptable' level of noise/heat. From overclocker.com, "Another thing to take note of is the RPM range switch we spoke of earlier. Because of the switch’s location on the hub, it won’t be accessible once a fan is installed."

good luck!

Erik_1

Honorable
Aug 28, 2015
Hopefully you have PWM controlls for the CPU and pump, can you monitor them?

Also, sometimes the issue is air and slow leaks. If your AIO is mounted vertically, position the tubes to be at the bottom, instead of the top.

Also, those little graphite pads are the bomb for heat transfer. :)

Dec 18, 2018
Check to see if the protective plastic film was actually removed when you put the thermal paste on the CPU and heatsink. Sometimes even guys like "JaysTwoCents" forgot to remove that and would apply thermal paste to that instead of the actual metal.

Also I think you're supposed to drain and swap out the AIO coolant once every three or so years. This way, you can check to see if there is a blockage.

I just personally like large heatsinks like the Noctua NH-D15 dual tower heatsinks, cause you won't have to worry about liquids or pumps.

Dec 18, 2018
I checked the liquid cooler better and now I found out that when the cpu is in full load, the waterblock is hot and when i touch the tubes that transport the liquid from the waterblock to the radiator only one is warm, the other one is cold and only near the tubes the radiator is warm, on the other side it's cold. Could it be the pump? Maybe it's working bad. Fans are spinning at max speed, I also checked if the waterblock is installed correctly and it is.
How do I know if the liquid is circulating correctly in the radiator?

If it's the pump that is working bad I will replace the cooler. What type of air cooling solution you suggest to me? I want the best solution for this cpu.

Thank you for all of these answers.

The watercooler may have failed.
I will shake a little to dislodge any object that maybe blocking the liquid flow...but that is not a permanent solution.

EVGA CLC 280 Liquid
CORSAIR HYDRO Series H100i
CRYORIG H7
Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3

Solution

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
AIO´s ofter go cheap on corrosion prevention and use Aluminium radiators with copper cpu heatsinks. There is a good chance, your pump is already half clogged, and moving it makes the flow lighter for a short time.
You can also try to unscrew the plate, drain the system, rinse it with distilled water and fill it up with anti corrosion fluid made for liquid cooling.
This article may help you https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3180-refilling-aio-with-new-liquid