High CPU temperatures

Apr 18, 2018
Hello everyone, I'm getting temperatures around 40c to 50c at idle with an i7 7700k with no overclock on it.
I have the Cooler Master-box lite 5 which I use with the cover off to enable airflow and the geminii s524 ver.2 as a my CPU cooler, I'm really concerned since I reached 80c when playing Fortnite, I would really appreciate if someone could help me solve this issue.

Solution
Is this a single stack tower with a single fan? It's possible that is all you can expect from a modestly small air cooler, as it will not keep up with a double heatsink/twin fan monster sink like a Noctua NH-D15

The review below describes your cooler as smallish, designed for compact narrow towers

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7342/cooler-master-geminii-s524-version-2-cpu-review/index6.html

If it is that small of a cooler, you are quite possibly looking at high-70C minimums on sustained heavy loads. (Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility cpu stress test gives a fine 90% load, easily rivaling anything encountered in the heaviest of games, so, run it for 30 minutes while monitoring HWMonitor. As long as you don't exceed 80C, you are...
Is this a single stack tower with a single fan? It's possible that is all you can expect from a modestly small air cooler, as it will not keep up with a double heatsink/twin fan monster sink like a Noctua NH-D15

The review below describes your cooler as smallish, designed for compact narrow towers

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7342/cooler-master-geminii-s524-version-2-cpu-review/index6.html

If it is that small of a cooler, you are quite possibly looking at high-70C minimums on sustained heavy loads. (Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility cpu stress test gives a fine 90% load, easily rivaling anything encountered in the heaviest of games, so, run it for 30 minutes while monitoring HWMonitor. As long as you don't exceed 80C, you are probably as good as you will get with a smallish cooler....and even 80C would actually be acceptable if that is all you see while MCE is enabled in the BIOS.... (i.e, Multi Core Enhancement, all 4 cores at 4.5 GHz)

The 7700K is not known for 65C under-load temps with small coolers, and I consider myself lucky to only hit 65C w/ a large cooler/fan combo, in fact....

Solution