High Cpu Temperatures

May 30, 2018
Hello, I have recently purchased an i7 8700k processor with a set clock speed of 4.7ghz with a single fan and radiator which I believe is the H60 by corsair. The temperatures were a bit high ranging from about the mid-50s to sometimes the mid-60s during gaming. I decided to upgrade to the h80i v2 by corsair which I expected to give temperatures to the 40s during gameplay as some of my other friends have had with the same setup but I end up getting very high 30s and mid-low 40s idle as well as up to the mid 60s during gameplay depending on the fan speed. The temperatures are manageable when the fans are set to performance speed which I can basically hear from outside because it is so loud. Any suggestions of a fix or a mistake during installation, I recall installing everything correctly.

Solution
The ambient temperature matters a lot. With liquid cooling, at stock speeds, in idle you can expect about 8ºC-10ºC above the ambient temperature and with a moderate overclock, at idle about 15ºC-18ºC above the ambient temperature.

In full load, with moderate overclock, wait about 30ºC-40ºC above the ambient temperature (always depends on the cooler).

If you obtain these values, your product is well placed. If at first you get these values but in about 30 minutes the temperature triggers you have a problem of liquid circulation.

With an ambient temperature of 25ºC, a moderate overclock and full load, the 40ºC that your friends claim to obtain is not believable.
50-60C in-gaming temps is as good as it gets.... no doubt the much larger radiator likely shaved off only 1-2C off your temps....if that.

You were not going to significantly lower temps with any other cooler...no matter how large the radiator, short of it being cooled with fluid cooled in a radiator outdoors in Antarctica...

The ambient temperature matters a lot. With liquid cooling, at stock speeds, in idle you can expect about 8ºC-10ºC above the ambient temperature and with a moderate overclock, at idle about 15ºC-18ºC above the ambient temperature.

In full load, with moderate overclock, wait about 30ºC-40ºC above the ambient temperature (always depends on the cooler).

If you obtain these values, your product is well placed. If at first you get these values but in about 30 minutes the temperature triggers you have a problem of liquid circulation.

With an ambient temperature of 25ºC, a moderate overclock and full load, the 40ºC that your friends claim to obtain is not believable.

Solution