[SOLVED] High CPU Temps 3600X

Sep 28, 2020
I'm struggling with keeping my CPU temps down. What worries me the most is how quickly they rise.

System:
Ryzen 5 3600x
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B air cooler
Asrock b550 phantom gaming-itx/ax
Sapphire Pulse 5600XT

I have 3 intake fans, 1 exhaust fan, and 1 on the CPU cooler, and even if I set them all at 100% in the BIOS, my idle temps are 45-50C, but the second I run a benchmark or F@H the CPU jumps the 82C and steadies out around 86C. And then almost immediately upon stopping the benchmark temps drop back to idle. If I have my fans on a more reasonable curve, this causes them to ramp up and down every time I open a new chrome tab.

This temperature was show in Ryzen master, and when I checked HWMonitor, the CPUTIN reading is good, never exceeding 55C, but the TMPIN7 reading matches what Ryzen master is showing. Is this correct?

I tried re-seating the air cooler to make sure it was making good contact, I checked for bios updates, nothing.

Solution
In case PC makes "troubles" (your case), I recommend you to set BIOS to "default" state (usually "save and exit default" or similar in BIOS). And change nothing in BIOS until you make sure PC is working normally. That is, you do that just after you have reassembled CPU cooler.
After that you can set your RAM speed to XMP profile to increase RAM speed (if option is available in BIOS) and use your PC for few days -just to make sure RAM is working well at higher RAM speed (no crashes, etc.). In general, using XMP profile is is pretty much safe and shouldn't cause troubles.
And finally, you can adjust fan(s) speed curve(s) in BIOS. But you only do that in case you think fans could run at lower rpm (less noise) and still keep CPU cold...
Sep 28, 2020
Lian li tu 150-wa case. All air intakes have been cleaned (although they weren't that dirty, the PC is only about 3 months old) and it has plenty of fresh air to suck in. I've even taken off the cable managing side panel and pointed an external case fan at the back of the motherboard.

This problem seemed to come out of nowhere. I wasn't changing my fan curves or anything that I can remember.

Sep 28, 2020
Fans are all spinning at the correct speeds, I even double checked that they were spinning the right direction. No sounds or anything. And my GPU temps never go about 52C when folding, and 60-72C when gaming

I just fee like with my air cooler and good airflow through the case I shouldn't be struggling to keep below 80C, even under full load. My room is typically warm in the summer, but rarely above 26C.
My speeds are hit too. When I start F@H CPU peaks to about 4.2Ghz, but then drops to 4.0Ghz

I'm struggling with keeping my CPU temps down. What worries me the most is how quickly they rise.

System:
Ryzen 5 3600x
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B air cooler
Asrock b550 phantom gaming-itx/ax
Sapphire Pulse 5600XT

I have 3 intake fans, 1 exhaust fan, and 1 on the CPU cooler, and even if I set them all at 100% in the BIOS, my idle temps are 45-50C, but the second I run a benchmark or F@H the CPU jumps the 82C and steadies out around 86C. And then almost immediately upon stopping the benchmark temps drop back to idle. If I have my fans on a more reasonable curve, this causes them to ramp up and down every time I open a new chrome tab.

This temperature was show in Ryzen master, and when I checked HWMonitor, the CPUTIN reading is good, never exceeding 55C, but the TMPIN7 reading matches what Ryzen master is showing. Is this correct?

I tried re-seating the air cooler to make sure it was making good contact, I checked for bios updates, nothing.
The Scythe Mugen Air cooler is one of the best there is so the only way to achieve better cooling is with an AIO water cooled solution. Unfortunately your limited with the Lian li tu 150-wa case you have as to what would fit.
Did you not try the Wraith cooler that came with your Ryzen CPU?
What type of TIM did you use?
I would be interested in your comments in this regard.

Let's recap: Your PC assembly is of higher quality, CPU is far from being some power hog and you didn't manually overclock it, airflow is good, fans are spinning reasonable, GPU has normal temps,.. so what is left?
Can only be (and is) bad contact between CPU and cooler: was protective foil on cooler removed? was thermal paste applied properly? is cooler sitting properly on CPU? is CPU cooler maybe a bit loose?
I have 3700X & beQuiet Dark Rock Slim cooler, two intake fans plus one in back, all inside Fractal R6 case (quite comparable to your gear, I think). And just for comparison/reference: on idle, my CPU temp is 33-35°C (about 10-12 degree above room temperature) and 67-72°C at full load. On idling, all fans spin at about 360rpm.
Take CPU cooler down, clean/remove existing thermal paste, apply new thermal paste and mount it back properly -it must work as expected.
P.S. I tried to boost CPU in BIOS, but that didn't increase performance much (barely noticeable), however it increases average CPU temp's quite a bit -so I changed back to stock.

Sep 28, 2020
I'll be pulling the mobo and doing a complete reassembly when I get around to it. Even ordered some better thermal compound just to be safe.

I haven't actively messed with any core clocks or voltages, are their any specific things to look at? Overclocking and tuning are a little over my head,but that doesn't mean I didn't do something on accident.

In case PC makes "troubles" (your case), I recommend you to set BIOS to "default" state (usually "save and exit default" or similar in BIOS). And change nothing in BIOS until you make sure PC is working normally. That is, you do that just after you have reassembled CPU cooler.
After that you can set your RAM speed to XMP profile to increase RAM speed (if option is available in BIOS) and use your PC for few days -just to make sure RAM is working well at higher RAM speed (no crashes, etc.). In general, using XMP profile is is pretty much safe and shouldn't cause troubles.
And finally, you can adjust fan(s) speed curve(s) in BIOS. But you only do that in case you think fans could run at lower rpm (less noise) and still keep CPU cold enough. However, if your CPU has above average temperatures, then simply increasing fan speeds doesn't make sense (only makes PC louder). As said, your CPU doesn't use much power and you have decent cooler -so no reason for CPU to run hot at default fan speeds.

Solution