[SOLVED] High CPU temps at idle and when under load ?

Sep 15, 2021
Hello everyone. Am new around here.
As the title states my cpu has high idle temperatures and much higher load temperatures. I've searched everywhere as to what may the reason behind these increased temperatures are, to no avail.

I have a i7-9700k (not overclocked but has intel turbo technology which was automatically applied.) My motherboard is MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON. PSU is corsair 750w 80+ Bronze. RAM is 32GB which are Corsair vengeance 4x8GB. GPU is MSI 1070 TI Gaming X? which is 8GB. I have a M.2 Nvme ssd which is 1TB. A baracuda 2tb hdd and a Toshiba 1tb hdd. My CPU cooler is an AIO which is MSI Mag 360R. I used have a hot box case which was gamemax vega which I changed to Coolermaster TD500 mesh due to a much better airflow. The case comes with three front fans which are coolermaster fans. And an exhaust fan which is a corsair fan. During idle my cpu temperature sits at 40⁰C sometimes drops to 38. But also jumps to around 70⁰C for no reason for a split second then stays at 40-50⁰C for a second or two then drops to ~40⁰c. During load it has reached 100⁰C a couple of times which is when I decided to change to a new case. Prior to this change i have reapplied thermalpaste multiple times within a period of less than a month. After new paste the temps are lower than 40 at ~35°C. But after a day or two temps reach back to what they were previously. I have Norton and NordVPN, am saying this as I think these can cause temps to increase also however task manager does not show them using much of cpu unless Norton is scanning and VPN is on whenever my PC is on. Most if not all my components are almost or less than a year old. My AIO liquid cooler is around 6 months. All my fans are currently set to 100% but HMOnitor shows the temps to be around 45~50°C at idle. Am not sure what to do. Is my CPU dead or close to death? Is my motherboard messed up? BIOS am not sure which version I am running so maybe an update will fix? Or is my liquid cooler dead? As sometimes when I turn my pc on after a day has passed since I last used it, I hear clicking/sizzling/gurgling sound am not sure how to describe. I read that it could be air. But it is quite recent.

I am deeply sorry about the long post/essay. It's a pretty expensive build for me and I dont want it getting fried. I have included everything that may be useful and i hope it has been useful information. I am at a loss on what to do. Many Thanks

Solution
You should just get another AIO, as there's no easy way to resolve this.
Models larger than 280mm lack flexibility, and you're more or less stuck with mounting them at the top.
Yes, that one video by JayzTwoCents discusses that front mounting a 360mm is OK. But what gets overlooked - and he only briefly mentions this - is the noise that will appear over time as more and more air pools on the inlet side of the radiator, due to permeation.
Eventually, the noise will force you to move it, or remove it entirely(if it doesn't fit up top), even though the unit works just fine.

With the Pump-In-Radiator, and rad mounted at the top, you inevitably expose the pump to air as fluid is slowly lost.

What should I do to lubricate an aio pump...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
We're going to be seeing more and more threads with these Pump-In-Radiator models, huh?
Especially on these Coreliquid R models - that is some very aggressive pricing, right there with Arctic's Liquid Freezer II, but the LF II doesn't have RGB.

The problem is the cooler - to be more precise, the pump's location, and the fact that it should be kept lubricated. [Assuming you've installed everything else correctly.]

Sep 15, 2021
We're going to be seeing more and more threads with these Pump-In-Radiator models, huh?
Especially on these Coreliquid R models - that is some very aggressive pricing, right there with Arctic's Liquid Freezer II, but the LF II doesn't have RGB.

The problem is the cooler - to be more precise, the pump's location, and the fact that it should be kept lubricated. [Assuming you've installed everything else correctly.]

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes the coreliquid has a pump in radiator, I don't know anything about custom water cooling and did not want to take a risk. Also I wanted to keep everything MSI (mobo, gpu, cooler...). Pump-in-radiator was advertised as being something amazing however, with the little knowledge I have about aio liquid coolers I assumed this was a better, although the location of the pump did appear bizarre to me. It is installed at the top of my case, the pump is on the right side so towards the front of my case. I watched a video from JayzTwoCents and that's how I positioned my cooler. The pipes go over my RAM and looking straight at it they enter/exit from the right side of the head. I am assuming this is a correct installation, based on the little knowledge I have and the numerous videos I have watched. What should I do to lubricate an aio pump? Should I just outright get a new aio? Should I mount the aio vertically on the front of my case with the pump at the bottom to prevent air?
Many Thanks

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You should just get another AIO, as there's no easy way to resolve this.
Models larger than 280mm lack flexibility, and you're more or less stuck with mounting them at the top.
Yes, that one video by JayzTwoCents discusses that front mounting a 360mm is OK. But what gets overlooked - and he only briefly mentions this - is the noise that will appear over time as more and more air pools on the inlet side of the radiator, due to permeation.
Eventually, the noise will force you to move it, or remove it entirely(if it doesn't fit up top), even though the unit works just fine.

With the Pump-In-Radiator, and rad mounted at the top, you inevitably expose the pump to air as fluid is slowly lost.

What should I do to lubricate an aio pump?
The pump is lubricated and cooled by the very fluid it's sitting in. It has to stay submerged in it.

If you want to stay the Msi theme, it's going to cost you.
MPG Coreliquid K is the only one not using that blasted Pump-In-Radiator design, but they are jacked up(price) just as badly as Asus' AIOs.
~180USD for a 240mm(K240) is ridiculous, and the K360 is worse at ~250.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riba46
Solution

I am deeply sorry about the long post/essay. It's a pretty expensive build for me and I dont want it getting fried. I have included everything that may be useful and i hope it has been useful information. I am at a loss on what to do. Many Thanks
Is it possible to remount the radiator in a position that locates the pump (the black square thing in the radiator) below the water block? Typically that would be in front with the pump to the bottom. Mounting in the case bottom wouldn't be good since that means air will accumulate in the water block on the CPU, also a bad thing.

These pump-in-rad AIO's really limit operation, but that's the sort of thing they're resorting to to get around the Asetek patent lock.

Reactions: Riba46
Sep 15, 2021
Thank you once again.

Yes I have read about Asetek. They have done a dirty smart move. I have done further research and even looked into other MSI coolers like the K. Which is quite pricey. K360 is around £250 in the UK, that is a pass from me. However, I had come across a YouTube video, I did not note the channel name, but he was talking about AIOs with pump-on-radiators and mount placements as well. He tested top,side and each tested with a push or a pull configuration. The results showed that side pull (so taking air in) had much lower idle and load temps. I have decided to change the layout of my aio. Previously it was at top and was pushing air out. And as the pump is inside the radiator, the hot air from my gpu and general heat would pass by the pump causing it to increase in temperatures. After changing to a vertical side moun, and having the fans blow in air to the case, this causes cooler air to go past the pump. Previous idle temps were ~40⁰C +/- 2⁰C. Would jump to ~70⁰C. With the new configuration, my temps are very steady at 35⁰C but have gone as low as 32⁰C and remain steady. It does jump to higher temps but only upto ~50⁰C. I haven't tested out load temps yet but am hopeful that they will be much lower than before. I currently have 3 intake fans (on aio), 3 exhaust fans on top, and a single exhaust fan at the hack of the case. Hopefully no other issues arise.
Many Thanks