Question High CPU temps flashing black screen

sheeku

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
Hi, I've had an HP Pavillion g6-2311sp for about 6 years now. (2,2 GHz Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 7670M and 4 GB of RAM )

I didn't use it for a few years and when I started using it again it was really slow and the fan would sometimes start randomly ventilating really loudly and the screen would go black (could still see and move cursor) and it would flash from normal display to black a few times before going back to normal.

I tried to clean the laptop and upgrade it a bit to make it faster/fix that issue. So after cleaning, replacing the thermal paste, adding an SSD, getting windows 10 on it and adding another 4GB of RAM, the laptop is faster but the black screens keep happening (sometimes with the computer on and no apps running).

I don't know much about this but I believe it might be CPU overheating as the temps on the CPU go from 55ºC to 104ºC (+90ºC right after the flashing black screen stops).

Don't really know what else to do here and couldn't find much online so I was hoping someone could help.

Thanks in advance!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Could be a couple of things purely based on what you've described:

CPU go from 55ºC to 104ºC
This would almost definitely cause issues, you'd have to see if having better ventilation, or a cooler pad for example will help. If the issue is only occuring once you reach past 90 degrees, then it is likely overheating.

adding another 4GB of RAM
If you ADDED this to your CURRENT RAM, then mixed modules can equally cause all manner of issues. So you once you eliminate overheating, you may want to remove the added module and see if the issue persists. You do state you did this AFTERWARDS but it could be compounding an issue.

sheeku

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
Could be a couple of things purely based on what you've described:

This would almost definitely cause issues, you'd have to see if having better ventilation, or a cooler pad for example will help. If the issue is only occuring once you reach past 90 degrees, then it is likely overheating.

If you ADDED this to your CURRENT RAM, then mixed modules can equally cause all manner of issues. So you once you eliminate overheating, you may want to remove the added module and see if the issue persists. You do state you did this AFTERWARDS but it could be compounding an issue.

Thanks for the reply! If the cooler pad does indeed help, as it's something I would probably only use at home (to avoid carrying it around), would you suggest replacing the computer fan or is it unlikely that the fan has a problem?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply! If the cooler pad does indeed help, as it's something I would probably only use at home (to avoid carrying it around), would you suggest replacing the computer fan or is it unlikely that the fan has a problem?
Unless the fan is physically faulty, it likely won't make much difference. If however the fan is faulty, then yes you'll need to replace it. Equally giving the laptop a thorough clean regularly is useful.

also check for dust bunnies blocking airflow, and you can probably throttle the laptop by setting your power limits on battery and line power to maybe 90% in power mgmt. a utility like Coretemp can hibernate your laptop at a critical temp and at least avoid the black screen and loss of work.

Hi, I've had an HP Pavillion g6-2311sp for about 6 years now. (2,2 GHz Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 7670M and 4 GB of RAM )

I didn't use it for a few years and when I started using it again it was really slow and the fan would sometimes start randomly ventilating really loudly and the screen would go black (could still see and move cursor) and it would flash from normal display to black a few times before going back to normal.

I tried to clean the laptop and upgrade it a bit to make it faster/fix that issue. So after cleaning, replacing the thermal paste, adding an SSD, getting windows 10 on it and adding another 4GB of RAM, the laptop is faster but the black screens keep happening (sometimes with the computer on and no apps running).

I don't know much about this but I believe it might be CPU overheating as the temps on the CPU go from 55ºC to 104ºC (+90ºC right after the flashing black screen stops).

Don't really know what else to do here and couldn't find much online so I was hoping someone could help.

Thanks in advance!