High CPU Temps on my new Asus GL502VM laptop

spacetufty

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I recently bought a brand new Asus GL502VM laptop, which after a few weeks developed a fault. I have been through the Asus RMA process and now have the laptop back; it appears they've replaced the CPU.

All working fine, however, I've been monitoring the temperatures using RealTemp, and they seem to be very high. When I'm using Unity or having a play with a VR headset the CPU temperatures are above 90 degrees, I've even hit a high of 98 on one of the cores. Interestingly even when idle I see that the CPU temp can fluctuate between 45 and 75 within a few seconds. For info, the GPU temperatures don't seem to be an issue reaching around 80 degrees max.

I don't think this is normal for a CPU, and am worried it will have a short life! So wanted to check on the forums here before contacting Asus again, or perhaps even getting a refund and going for a different model.

Spec: i7-7700, GTX 1060, 16Gb Ram running Windows 10.

Thanks!

spacetufty

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Thanks for your reply... I also used the built in ROG software to display temps as well as Prime95 to perform a stress test and the temps also went into the 90s. Reading through the review you linked it appears my GPU is running warmer than usual too, although not as bad as the CPU.

spacetufty

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Thanks. So it's acceptable for laptop CPU temps to be above 90 for a number of hours? Would an MSI gaming laptop be similar? I'm just worried since I was led to believe > 90 means the CPU won't last very long.