[SOLVED] High CPU Temps Ryzen 3600xt With MSI 240R AIO

Nov 26, 2021
Hello,

I have been having issues with what I think are high CPU temps in my PC. In a room that is at about 20'C, I am usually seeing idle temps (all programs closed) of about 50-60'C, closer to 70'C with a web browser, discord and productivity stuff open and usually well above 80'c while gaming.
I recently tried re-pasting the CPU using some Noctua paste, but did not see an improvement. The pump is connected to the pump header on my motherboard, all fans are connected to sys-fan or cpu fan headers and are using the CPU temp sensor instead of case temp.
Fan layout is three intakes at the front, one rear exhaust and two top exhaust on the AIO. The AIO is set to full speed constantly, the fan curve is set to about 40% speed below 60'C and ramps up to 100% by 80'C.

PC specs as follows:

Case: MSI Gungnir 111R
CPU: 3600XT
Motherboard: MSI B550M Carbon
Cooler: MSI Coreliquid 240R
GPU: Sapphire Nitro 5700XT

Any help would be appreciated, at this point I'm confused as to why the bloody thing is running so hot.

Solution
two top exhaust on the AIO.

That cooler won't last positioned like that. You HAVE to mount the radiator at the front with its inlet+outlet positioned at the bottom. It will not hold up well in any other position.
It's because of where the pump is located - that black cube you see on the radiator.

If doing so doesn't help it, it's probably too late, after which the solution is to replace the cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
two top exhaust on the AIO.

That cooler won't last positioned like that. You HAVE to mount the radiator at the front with its inlet+outlet positioned at the bottom. It will not hold up well in any other position.
It's because of where the pump is located - that black cube you see on the radiator.

If doing so doesn't help it, it's probably too late, after which the solution is to replace the cooler.

Solution
Nov 26, 2021
Thank you for confirming that; I think I remember being worried about the pump being at the top when I went to install it, but of course they show it that way in the instructions. Won't be doing that again.

After way too much movement of components and mild stress from clearance issues I have swapped the rad location. It seems to be working better, but I'll have to watch it and see.

Again though, thanks for the quick reply.