[SOLVED] High CPU temps/usage i5 8600k

jrbball7

Reputable
May 16, 2017
Hey all, I just logged into the New World Beta for the first time and was excited to get started only to be surprised by cpu temps that I've never seen before.

I am running a rtx 3070 and i5 8600k at 4.6HZ with a 240mm corsair AIO. In game at 1440p my cpu is running at 100 percent usage and 80+ degree temps. I have never seen numbers like this in any application or even the few benchmarks I've ran a while back. All other games I run never see above mid 60s on my cpu.

Even when I scale back to 1080p, capped fps at 60, and lowest settings...my cpu remains at full usage at 80 degree temps. Am I ok to run at these values for hours on end?

Does this have something to do with the game or my setup? I know my cpu is getting a little dated...are games finally catching up to my hardware? Any help appreciated!

Solution
Scaling back to 1080P would tend to increase CPU usage, if anything....

Keep your res at 1440P, and up the video quality quality settings to max, shifting some/more of the burden to the GPU.

On top of that, with but 6 threads, high CPU usage is almost a given anyway, and even more so with a very good GPU, which you have. (Not really an issue as long as your are not plagued by stutters and/or attempting livestreaming , etc...)

Do you have MCE enabled, in addition to specifying higher clock speed? (Perhaps you mainboard and CPU will still be stable with a slight core voltage reduction of .02 or .05V?) If you overclocked with an available mainboard preset, it may have indeed selected to high of a voltage; you might get better...
When you are using the Task Manager, make sure that you are looking at the Details tab for CPU usage. The CPU number on the Processes tab shows utilization which is not the same as CPU usage. On Intel CPUs that use a high percentage of turbo boost like your 8600K uses, the utilization number will be way higher than the actual CPU usage number.

Intel CPUs can run reliably at core temperatures up to 100°C. That is why Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature to 100°C and has been doing this for more than 12 years. No need to be worried at 80°C. Your CPU will live a long life at that temperature.

jrbball7

Reputable
May 16, 2017
When you are using the Task Manager, make sure that you are looking at the Details tab for CPU usage. The CPU number on the Processes tab shows utilization which is not the same as CPU usage. On Intel CPUs that use a high percentage of turbo boost like your 8600K uses, the utilization number will be way higher than the actual CPU usage number.

Intel CPUs can run reliably at core temperatures up to 100°C. That is why Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature to 100°C and has been doing this for more than 12 years. No need to be worried at 80°C. Your CPU will live a long life at that temperature.
I am not super knowledgeable on over clocking and cpus, but I think the turbo boost on this is 4.3 HZ and I used the basic bios xmp over clock or whatever it's called to kick it up to 4.7Hz. Is it worth it to take it back down to lower temps or does the extra 0.4Hz really make a difference. Thanks!

basic bios xmp over clock
Most motherboards with automatic overclock settings use too much CPU voltage. This can cause CPUs to run hot.

There is nothing wrong with running your CPU at 4.7 GHz and there is nothing wrong with your CPU hitting 80°C when gaming. Modern gaming oriented laptops with Intel CPUs are running at over 90°C for many hours while playing some games. This is the new normal.

If you want better temperatures, use HWiNFO to find out how much VCore voltage is going to your CPU. You might be able to reduce this voltage in the BIOS. This can help keep your temperatures down. Most Intel CPUs are 100% stable with a -50 mV to -100 mV offset undervolt.

Keep your res at 1440P, and up the video quality quality settings to max, shifting some/more of the burden to the GPU.

On top of that, with but 6 threads, high CPU usage is almost a given anyway, and even more so with a very good GPU, which you have. (Not really an issue as long as your are not plagued by stutters and/or attempting livestreaming , etc...)

Do you have MCE enabled, in addition to specifying higher clock speed? (Perhaps you mainboard and CPU will still be stable with a slight core voltage reduction of .02 or .05V?) If you overclocked with an available mainboard preset, it may have indeed selected to high of a voltage; you might get better results with default BIOS settings other than desired XMP profile, and test higher multipliers with default voltage within Intel's XTU. (My own 7700K only has 70C temps during gaming at 4.7 GHz, for example)

Additionally, many AIOs pumps degrade after a few years due to slight fluid loss, clogged/fouled pump internal microfins , etc....

If temps start at 70-75C and only work their way up after an hour of gaming to those temps, might be little you can do, short of just cranking up radiator fan speed a tad...(as coolant temp rises over time, it cools CPU less effectively...which leads to higher temps...which leads to warmer fluid...which leads to...well, you get the gist.)

Solution

jrbball7

Reputable
May 16, 2017

Do you have MCE enabled, in addition to specifying higher clock speed? (Perhaps you mainboard and CPU will still be stable with a slight core voltage reduction of .02 or .05V?) If you overclocked with an available mainboard preset, it may have indeed selected to high of a voltage; you might get better results with default BIOS settings other than desired XMP profile, and test higher multipliers with default voltage within Intel's XTU. (My own 7700K only has 70C temps during gaming at 4.7 GHz, for example)

Additionally, many AIOs pumps degrade after a few years due to slight fluid loss, clogged/fouled pump internal microfins , etc....

If temps start at 70-75C and only work their way up after an hour of gaming to those temps, might be little you can do, short of just cranking up radiator fan speed a tad...(as coolant temp rises over time, it cools CPU less effectively...which leads to higher temps...which leads to warmer fluid...which leads to...well, you get the gist.)
Thank you for your detailed reply! I use the preset over clocks that came with my Mobo(asus z370-g) as I am not super knowledgeable on manually over clocking. I knocked the speed from 4.7 down to 4.3 and it reduced temps by 20C with no noticeable fps hit. I will run more tests to see if I can bring it back up to what it was, I really feel this game could be an outlier as I have read a bunch of forums about people with the same problem on this beta launch.

The included 'preset overclocks' almost certainly boost core voltage more than needed...

Are your current clock speeds locked at a given preset, ie., constant 4.3 GHz all the time 24/7, or are clock speeds fluctuating from 800-4300 MHz (normal)?

I'd investigate using 'Auto' as the multiplier rather than typing in a fixed 43X, etc.,, turning MCE on if included in your mainboard, and checking your temps without a voltage increase, whilst still remaining in Balanced Power mode within your power plan options, which will allow your rig to idle down to 800-1200 MHz while simply reading forums, etc...

If temps are a bit lower/nicer now, you can install Intel's XTU and crank up higher 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 core usage multipliers one step at a time, retesting for temps. (Now that the voltage increase that accompanies the Auto OC-preset has been removed, you might be able to hit /sustain all core clocks of 4500, 4600 MHz or higher without the larger temps. (Once near the top, temps tend to rise too much just for that last 100 MHz or so)

Good luck!