Question High CPU Temps While Gaming (i7 7700k RTX 2060)

May 2, 2019
I recently noticed my temps jump up to 88C while gaming (mostly CSGO on high settings).

Specs:
I7 7700K (stock)
Cryorig H7
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
RTX 2060
MSI Z270 SLI Plus

The only changes since this started to occurL I recently updated the BIOS and turned XMP on. I've never had these high temps before (usually around 75C max). Could these two changes be my issue?

I also updated my NVIDIA driver to 430.39 then reverted back back to installing the creators version (419.67) thinking this was my issue after seeing multiple people having similar high CPU temp issue. I didn't install the hotfix since some seemed to have issues with that as well.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldmate1337
May 2, 2019
From what I've read your xmp effects the memory module in your cpu making it work harder creating more heat so that is normal. In my bios it warnes me that i need a decent water cooling solution if im using xmp. I have a 7700k delinding it and replacing the thermal greese with something better quality will make a world of difference.

May 2, 2019
Thanks. I did try it with XMP off and my temps are back to where they were before (max ~75C). Unfortunate to not be able to take advantage of this without going watercooled or like your said, delidding.

May 2, 2019
Thanks. I did try it with XMP off and my temps are back to where they were before (max ~75C). Unfortunate to not be able to take advantage of this without going watercooled or like your said, delidding.
Yeah its the curse of the 7700k they are know for running silly hot unless de-lided maybe pick up a cheap all in one water cooler then come to the dark side and join the stable 5.1ghz club with me 😘 btw if you like my work dont be scared to throw me an upvote/like

Reactions: redsnake229
May 2, 2019
Yeah its the curse of the 7700k they are know for running silly hot unless de-lided maybe pick up a cheap all in one water cooler then come to the dark side and join the stable 5.1ghz club with me 😘 btw if you like my work dont be scared to throw me an upvote/like

I like air cooling mainly for maintenance and reliability purposes but it may be time to reconsider. Thanks for the info.