Question High CPU temps whilst gaming and idle all of a sudden.

Kyozo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Specs:
GPU: RTX 3070 8GB GAMING OC (rev 2.0)
CPU: AMD 5 Ryzen 3600 (Stock Cooler)
RAM: Corsair vengeance 16gb 3000mhz
MoBo: MSI B550-A-PRO
PSU: Corsair RM750W

Today I was playing Insurgency Sandstorm because I was bored, and was curious to see what my GPU temp whilst playing was, so following my normal procedure i put my hand on the glass to see how hot it was, and it was quite hot. Since i felt it was quite hot i wanted an accurate reading so i opened up MSI afterburner an saw it was 71C, at this point I am very confused because this was the sort of temps I was getting whilst playing Red Dead 2 on Ultra settings. I know I was playing on ultra setting in Insurgency but other games like Tarkov, squad and hell let loose don't even get that high on ultra maybe like 55 - 61C but I will get back to this. After being baffled about my GPU situation I went ahead to see my CPU, and holy <Mod Edit>, it was 84C. Even when I played red Dead 2 at ultra it was 73C and this leads me on to my next point. I was very confused as to why it was that high, so I quit insurgency to do some testing, doing this I still had my Ryzen Master which I used to measure my CPU temp, and even when Idle It was like at 71 It stayed there for awhile then it went down to 65C and eventually went down to 55C which is normal for me, however this process took many minutes which for some context when I usually exit games It is basically instant for the temps to go down for normal. However I thought since I have never monitored my temps in this game this was normal and and isolated incident for this game. Anyway continuing on in the story, so to test out if there was a new problem with my hardware I decided to test out games I have monitored my temp in before since I will know where the temps should be and if there not at that temp a problem must have raised. So first was tarkov, for my CPU it should normally be Low 60's however it started at 68 and slowly crept up to 70, then 71, 72. This raised concern, so now I started squad, which again should be low 60's like 63 or something, it was 73. After exiting these games I kept a eye on the idle temps which kept at mid 60s went down to mid 50s and kept bouncing back and forth. After all of this I did my usual method to identify the problem, brain storming. My thought process was that this, the last time I checked my CPU temps and it was alright was maybe 2 weeks ago, what have I uninstalled or installed or just changed about my PC in those 2 weeks. firstly, i uninstalled then reinstalled a chipset driver, I reinstalled Microsoft redistrubales 2015 - 2019. Ive installed Visual Studio. That's pretty much it (ill edit if I remember anything else) I don't think ive got a virus. I haven't clicked or any shady links or done anything that would give me malware. At this point im baffled and seeking help from the PC gods like yourselves. For other context ive cleaned my PC about 2 months ago, its October thefore ambient temps should be low. I don't understand why PC troubles keep happening to me, it's quite frankly pissing me off. Anyways before I rant any longer, I would appericate any help that may be given. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the more common reasons I have seen for a sudden jump in CPU temps is the CPU cooler came loose.
I would power down and check it. It should be firmly in place and not wiggle.
I would check the tightness of the cooler mounting fasteners and I'd snug them as needed.
Especially if the cooler fan speed seems normal.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I presume that, when you cleaned your PC, you cleaned the dust filters in front of the intake fans.

If your CPU cooler device is a finned heasink and fan, can you see UNDER the fan to examine what is jammed in between the fins of the heatsink? After several years of use those spaces can get filled up with packed dust, and you need to clean then out. That means carefully removing the FAN from the Heatsink - NOT removing the entire assembly from the CPU, if you can avoid that. Often spring slips or screws involved. There MAY be a similar concern for the heatsink on the GPU chip, but that may NOT be easy to disassemble and clean.

Kyozo

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
I presume that, when you cleaned your PC, you cleaned the dust filters in front of the intake fans.

If your CPU cooler device is a finned heasink and fan, can you see UNDER the fan to examine what is jammed in between the fins of the heatsink? After several years of use those spaces can get filled up with packed dust, and you need to clean then out. That means carefully removing the FAN from the Heatsink - NOT removing the entire assembly from the CPU, if you can avoid that. Often spring slips or screws involved. There MAY be a similar concern for the heatsink on the GPU chip, but that may NOT be easy to disassemble and clean.
I built this pc in July, and even when i cleaned it out about 2 months ago there was barely any dust, the gpu is also fairly new about 2 months ago so i dont think the problem is dust. During the cleaning i cleaned, all filters, case fans, cpu heat sink, air dusted around the MoBo and also just used a cloth to wipe any excess dust.