HypeLevels

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
Hey, today I rebuilt my computer in a new case, I also reapplied thermal paste since the one in the CPU was dry, but after that I am getting some weird issues on both Windows and Linux, after some time of using the pc the CPU Usage goes insanely high, audio gets choppy and the pc freezes, It's not overheating as the CPU is running at around 35 to 40 degrees when the audio gets choppy I notice on windows audiodg.exe CPU usage increases drastically, it's not an issue with audiodg as it will happen with discord, edge etc too, I have no idea what could be causing this, it's my first time assembling a pc, everything is correct, the only thing that is not plugged in is a fan because I am missing a fan header on my motherboard and a 2 pin FAN panel connector (for the rgb fans that my case doesn't come with) I changed the sata ports thinking it may be an issue with the sata connector but that didn't fix the issue, the drives work normally, I checked my ram, also fine, I don't know why my cpu would be affected by a simple case swap... I don't know what to do anymore...

Last edited:
Solution
Something's not hooked up right. Or maybe something is failing. I imagine you reseated all your connections.. . so are they plugged into the same connecting ports with the same cables? Could be your connections have developed a little rust (oxidation). Try pulling them off and on a few times.

Here's the worst thing you could've done. Where you grounded with the case to a local ground? If you notice the guys on Youtube don't wear a grounding strap is because the floor they're standing on is anti static. Yes, there could be a chance you may have static shocked your computer. Do you notice any capacitors on the motherboard bulged out or blown? Hopefully that's not what happened here. Got your i/o inputs plug in correctly.

When I...

Rexer

Distinguished
Something's not hooked up right. Or maybe something is failing. I imagine you reseated all your connections.. . so are they plugged into the same connecting ports with the same cables? Could be your connections have developed a little rust (oxidation). Try pulling them off and on a few times.

Here's the worst thing you could've done. Where you grounded with the case to a local ground? If you notice the guys on Youtube don't wear a grounding strap is because the floor they're standing on is anti static. Yes, there could be a chance you may have static shocked your computer. Do you notice any capacitors on the motherboard bulged out or blown? Hopefully that's not what happened here. Got your i/o inputs plug in correctly.

When I rebuilt my first computer, I wasn't grounded correctly and ended up buying a new motherboard. but the difference between yours and mine is it didn't start at all. it was dead.

Try running the Disk Cleanup in C: drive> right click properties and the error checker in the tools tab.
Hope this helps.

Solution

HypeLevels

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019

When I rebuilt my first computer, I wasn't grounded correctly and ended up buying a new motherboard. but the difference between yours and mine is it didn't start at all. it was dead.

Try running the Disk Cleanup in C: drive> right click properties and the error checker in the tools tab.
Hope this helps.
I verified everything, everything is in the right place and fully plugged in, the connections are the same with the same cables yes, I rebuilt the pc twice yesterday to verify everything was right, no oxidation on the cables, I don't think I static shocked my pc but if that is the case I am without computer until December, I will check for any blown capacitors, my i/o inputs are also plugged in correctly, will also run the Disk Cleanup

EDIT: Error checking was unable to find any error, I assume the worst happened and I either static shocked my motherboard or fried up my cpu...
EDIT: I was unable to find anything wrong with the motherboard, will proceed to check cpu pins
EDIT: no bent pins either, what in the world could be wrong with this pc

Last edited:

HypeLevels

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
I verified everything, everything is in the right place and fully plugged in, the connections are the same with the same cables yes, I rebuilt the pc twice yesterday to verify everything was right, no oxidation on the cables, I don't think I static shocked my pc but if that is the case I am without computer until December, I will check for any blown capacitors, my i/o inputs are also plugged in correctly, will also run the Disk Cleanup

EDIT: Error checking was unable to find any error, I assume the worst happened and I either static shocked my motherboard or fried up my cpu...
EDIT: I was unable to find anything wrong with the motherboard, will proceed to check cpu pins
EDIT: no bent pins either, what in the world could be wrong with this pc
Uhhhh, I built the pc in the old case again and the issue is gone? Not sure how a case affects my cpu? Will take pc to store and get a replacement

Reactions: Rexer