High CPU usage all the time, even after format

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Hello everyone,
For 2 months my computer made a lot of noise, and 2 days ago I decided to open it, remove all the hardware and check the source for the noise.
After I finished, I started the computer, and I've noticed that the computer is very slow, and the cpu usage is
always between 35%-90% when there are nothing open.
I've looked for spyware etc, and there were nothing.
I've decided to format my computer, and even now after the formatting, the cpu usage is high like before, and even in safe mode.
I haven't installed anything yet, and I think that there is an hardware problem and I need to replace my cpu and motherboard (core 2 due). I checked the hardware and cleaned the cpu fan, and it's the same.

What do you think the problem is?

Thanks, Tal.

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I have already tried to replace my hardware one by one, but when I replace the HDD the computer does a blue screen, and the the same with the graphic card.

The ironic thing, is that when I wrote the last reply, my computer was fine, and I shutted it down, and now when I turned it on, the problem is back.

RussK1

Splendid

Common mis-conception of people thinking if they re-install OS solves virus issues. Newer versions of adware have become resistant to formats or even detection of some of the better known AV programs. I'm not saying this is your issue but it is worth a gander. Download and run the AVZ script, you could be surprised.

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

I run AVZ, and looked into the LOG file, and there is nothing I can point as the problem's cause.

And yes, I run memtest, there are no errors.

RussK1

Splendid

Open up your resource monitor and take a screenshot I'd like to see it...

RussK1

Splendid

Open up start menu and type "system information" and click on that. Expand "components" and click on "problem devices". Read to me what it says...

info-1.jpg

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Ok, I want to update you about the problem:
I replaced my HDD with another, and also my video card with another. The computer didn't start so I had to took out the BIOS battery, and put it back.
I formatted the HDD, and installed windows, and the CPU was good.
I took out the Video card, and put mine, and the cpu was good again.
I took out the HDD, and put mine, and the CPU was good again!
So, I think the problem is related to the bios battery/motherboard, because the last time I reported that the cpu was ok, was after I took out the bios battery, and the next day the problem was back.
So, what do you recommend me to do? to replace my mobo?
(I've already updated the bios...).

RussK1

Splendid

I don't think it's the board or cpu... but if you're loooking for a reason then go ahead.

Have your checked your HDD for errors? Open start, computer, right click C:, properties, tools, check now and reboot. Takes a little while but windows is pretty effective.

You could open up device manager and start disabling things like network adapters until you find the culprit...

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

I run the test, nothing was found.
I dont think that there is a problem with my HDD, because now after restarting the bios, i'm working with my hdd, and the cpu is good.