High CPU usage all the time, even after format

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Hello everyone,
For 2 months my computer made a lot of noise, and 2 days ago I decided to open it, remove all the hardware and check the source for the noise.
After I finished, I started the computer, and I've noticed that the computer is very slow, and the cpu usage is
always between 35%-90% when there are nothing open.
I've looked for spyware etc, and there were nothing.
I've decided to format my computer, and even now after the formatting, the cpu usage is high like before, and even in safe mode.
I haven't installed anything yet, and I think that there is an hardware problem and I need to replace my cpu and motherboard (core 2 due). I checked the hardware and cleaned the cpu fan, and it's the same.

What do you think the problem is?

Thanks, Tal.

RussK1

Splendid

Hard to say unless actually sitting at the computer, but to guess? I'd say hardware... If you moved parts around and problem is gone this is the logical assumption.

RussK1

Splendid

That's what I was sniffing out but he said he ran a memory test and came back good... then he moved parts around and considering hdd's are delicate I was thinkin' maybe it got damaged in the move around process...

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

I already run a mem check, and the result was good.
The problem disappeared after restarting the bios battery few days ago, and came back on the next day.
Yesterday I did it again, and problem disappeared. Now I hope it won't come back.

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
hi Tal,
I just opened toms today. Quite busy with my daily routines.

In my opinion, it is IRQ conflicts. Usually BIOS sets this IRQ number automatically (some IRQ numbers are fixed, but some is free and is assigned by BIOS). And after you remove all of your hardware, the BIOS has to setup a new IRQ numbers to some devices. Usually if this happened, I need to change the slot of some hardwares (e.g. I change sound card from PCI slot 1 to PCI slot 2) and let the BIOS set the IRQ number accordingly. I only remove BIOS battery if I already don't know what to do hehehehe.

another method is, I usually try to disable my hardware 1 by 1 using "Device manager". And the most common conflicts between hardwares is related to USB ports, or keyboard/mouse PS2 port.

If you want to know what is IRQ numbers, you can read this article:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1585

you can check your IRQs number using "system information", or open Device Manager, select VIEW from the toolbar menu, and then click Resources by Type.
If you find something like this::
IRQ 16: Generic CardBus
IRQ 16: Graphic controller
IRQ 16: Universal Host Controller
it means there are sharing of IRQ number or CONFLICTS. If this is sharing, so that will be no problem. But if conflicts, you may try to disable the Generc CardBus and Universal Host Controller (since you need your graphic controller the most)

But again, that's only a guess. I really don't know what has happened to your computer unless I am in front of it :).