High CPU usage all the time, even after format

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Hello everyone,
For 2 months my computer made a lot of noise, and 2 days ago I decided to open it, remove all the hardware and check the source for the noise.
After I finished, I started the computer, and I've noticed that the computer is very slow, and the cpu usage is
always between 35%-90% when there are nothing open.
I've looked for spyware etc, and there were nothing.
I've decided to format my computer, and even now after the formatting, the cpu usage is high like before, and even in safe mode.
I haven't installed anything yet, and I think that there is an hardware problem and I need to replace my cpu and motherboard (core 2 due). I checked the hardware and cleaned the cpu fan, and it's the same.

What do you think the problem is?

Thanks, Tal.

Could you post a list of your hardware?

Make sure you have all of the best drivers for your hardware because windows doesn't always install the right drivers without help from it's user.

If your replace your motherboard/CPU you should (almost certainly need to) replace your RAM. You might also want to replace the hard drive.

You might want to hold off on new parts at least until AMD bulldozer comes out, if not Sandy bridge E or Ivy bridge. even if you don't want one of those CPUs they should lower the prices of current CPUs to make the wait worth your time.

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I have 260GTX video card.
4gb ddr2 corsair.
e6750 core 2 due.
105IS samsung hdd.

and no, i haven't check my hdd, but the problem started after I removed the parts and installed again, so i dont know if it's the hdd problem.

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
as everybody suggest ... open your task manager first and see what happens there. If you find a process that eating your CPU resource, and there u go ... you know your problem. However if you can't find any processes which use your CPU resource .... it's time to download "Process Explorer" from Microsoft and I'm pretty sure that you will be able to see anything that eat up your CPU resource.
This happened to me a long time ago, and Task Exp could not find anything, and Process Explorer let me know that one IRQ was holding out my CPU and after much checking from Google I found out that IRQ belongs to HDD. So I change the SATA port from SATA0 to SATA1 and it worked (it means ... I must say goodbye to my SATA0 port T_T)

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I checked now the hdd and there were no errors.
I downloaded the Process Explorer and this is the process which eats my cpu:
Hardware Interrupts and DPCs.
What is that??!

G

Update your Intel LAN drivers if you have an Intel LAN controller.

Out of date or Microsoft provided LAN drivers can cause artificially high CPU usage.

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
My HDD is good too, no error, but the problem with mine is the SATA port on my MB. So has to unplug it and plug it to another SATA port on my MB. So sometime you can't just rely on SMART information hehehe.
did you get the interrupt number (IRQ number)? if yes, try googling it to find out which hardware that cause that high CPU.

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

I tried to connect to another SATA port, and it's the same.
How can I get the IRQ number?

Did you check VGA fan? Case fan?

www.cpuid.com and download free HWMonitor to check temps.

CPU temps are 63C(core 1) and 60C(core 2)

Everything is connected.

G

Those CPU temps are pretty high, unless your system is under load.

Check the heatsink is attached to the motherboard properly - it shouldnt be loose. Check the CPU fan is spinning.

tal_be

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I've updated all the drivers, and the bios, but the problem isn't passed.
Yesterday I took out the bios battery, and after 2 minutes I returned it, and the cpu was fine, but now I turned on the pc, and the problem showed up again.
What to do? Maybe I have to replace my MB and cpu?

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

have you looked into the link that I gave you? You will be able to find the culprit behind your high CPU usage and act accordingly. Don't just change your CPU and MB ...... yes, that would be the easiest way, but .... the most expensive.

Ok people, step back a second:

1: PC was slow AFTER everything was physically removed, which points to a hardware problem

2: Item that is eating up time in Task Manager is "Hardware services and Interrupts", which again, points to hardware.

Now, could be a BIOS thing [due to hardware being removed], but more then likely, something either got damaged, or was not set up properly. I'd reset the BIOS back to defaults. Failing that, I would physcially remove everything again.

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

yes, you're right, it is hardware problem, but using process explorer and the method explained in the link I gave was to isolate which hardware that has problem. I use that method to find mine and It worked for me. :)

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hi Tal, sorry for my late reply. I saw the screenshot you posted .... and unfortunately I can't offer any help anymore since the one that brought your CPU up is actually "Unknown". You probably need to join that MSFN.org and ask for their help.

Oh, one thing, you probably need to see the detail from ntoskrnl.exe by clicking the (+) button and see what kind of process that holding your kernel.

If you don't want to join their Forum ... here is my suggestion ... since it is hardware problem. Usually it was because IRQ conflicts (you can check your IRQ using "system information") or damaged Hardware. So if I were you, I will try to disable my hardwares 1 by 1. For example: turn off your LAN (by disabling the driver in hardware management), then see. If the problem persist, you can disable another hardware Wifi for example, Modem, USB ports, sound card and so on. And if you have a onboard VGA, try to pull out your discrete VGA and using Onboard VGA to see whether your VGA was damaged or not. Pull out any added Hardware in your PCI slot or so on. Remember ... do it one by one so you can observe which hardware that caused your problem.