High CPU usage... all the time! Help!

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
High guys i have a problem with my computer. It is a ASUS K53U.

The computer is barely one month old and it already slooooow.

It is always around 88-100% cpu usage, and when i open example spotify its always 100%.

What can i do to fix this problem? :(

decode33

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Download Avast anti virus its free and run it. Then download Malwarebytes its free and run it. Then downlad cccleaner its free and run it and also clean registry. You can also run regcure but its not free and optional. I run all these programs every two weeks and my computer stays like new out of box condition. It is now four years old and still fast since I purchased it.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

best solution for ur problem,

1) select my computer on your desktop(screen) right click on it and select properties and then select advanced menu in appearing window and select settings in performance tab then select best performance in visual effects option.

2) Scan your entire hard disk with avira personnel antivirus. And format your hard disk then re-instal your OS.

by the way which OS are you using. and what about the ram. :sol: :sol: :sol:

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

im using Win7 premium and have 3GB ram

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

I've already done that and it shows that 0 files are infected! :(

:pfff:

People, how about figuring out what is the problem instead of saying download this and that. All your doing is throwing darts into a haystack to find a needle.

Anyways.... Since i didn't see a response to this comment by beenthere;

Go into Task Manager and see what services are using all the CPU resources.

Can you take a screen shot or say whats is taking most of your resorces? (look under "processes" and click the "show all processes from all users" button to see everything running.)

it "should" say whats taking so much cpu power.

While im here, I'm going to ask a few other questions;

■is there anything else being used heavily such as your HDD? (should be a HDD light on the computer casing that should be lighting up under usage.)

■Also can you list your cpu model? I seen on the Asus website that it has an AMD cpu. Although they show 2 cpu's and im concerned about one of them being only 1GHz cpu.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K43U/#specifications

http://products.amd.com/en-us/NotebookAPUDetail.aspx?id=1&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=& (E-350 @ 1.6GHZ)
http://products.amd.com/en-us/NotebookAPUDetail.aspx?id=4&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=& (C-50 @ 1GHz)

If you dont know and/or cant find your cpu model, you can always open up system info by going to:

■Start menu

■Right click on computer

■Scroll down to properties and click on that.

Then a page should appear with the info i'm needing.

Im hoping it's not the cpu i think it is as, depending on what your doing, you could be limited by the cpu it's self instead of any unnecessary software running on it.

hope your issue can be found soon.

Also welcome to the forums. :hello:

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

Thanks warmon!

well most of the time its something called dwm.exe and its take around 05 CPU... but down there is task manager its says 80-90%, and what ever i do the most little click, like if i click on the "START" button (in this case windows 7 have the windows logo) the cpu goes crazy. is this even normal?

Its always thinking...

Here is a picture, sorry if its not in english, i live in sweden

Picture of CPU ram

Down there you see something called "ledigt" as in free avalible memory... is it normal to have that low number?

And i have 3GB ram and the CPU is AMD Brazos dual core C-50

Thanks! :)

I'll repeat from above.

how about figuring out what is the problem instead of saying download this and that. All your doing is throwing darts into a haystack to find a needle.

You guys already made him download a bunch of crap that given him 0 hits and that for both anti-virus and anti-spywares.

All your now doing is compounding the problem as most of these anti software have scanners in them. If he's kept every one of them instead of unstalling them, he'll have so many scanners in his computer that will be using resources and covering up what were needing to find.

Maybe it is spyware but so far everything else that has been suggested hasn't detected anything yet. so whats the likely hood of another software finding something that no other software could find? Low.

You need to look into the issue. Ya, i can say this and that are someone issue but does it truly hit the issue? most of the time, no

hmmm.... No it's not normal for windows for the start menu to jump in usage.

After seeing all the software being suggested..... What anti-virus and anti-spyware do you have on this computer? Also have you download or installed anything else recently such as games, video players, ect?

As for task manager saying your not having a lot of free memory, that's normal for Vista and 7.

(screen shot of my task manager)
task.png

Also for the dwm.exe, here a web page that explain what that is.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-dwmexe-and-why-is-it-running/ (it talks about vista but same thing still applies for 7)

I wish i could say it's a virus or spyware as that would be a simple fix, but everything has suggest other wise...

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
OK, dwm.exe is ompositing window manager. Do you have windows aero enabled or disabled, cause windows aero enabled improves performance as some of the work is off loaded to the GPU.

TRENDING THREADS