High CPU usage and high temperatures

anders99dk

Commendable
Jun 7, 2018
Hello!

I noticed today, when playing Fortnite, that my CPU would stay at 100% in task manager. This means that my FPS would go down from around 130 fps to 70-80.

This is my rig:

- 8gb ram
- GTX 1070 8 GB
- i5-8400
- ASUS ROG Strix - B360-G-GAMING

I play on these settings:
- https://imgur.com/a/aFyy8D6

Additionally, when i play my GPU and CPU avg temperatures shoots up to 70°C. (when i played LoL a month ago I would only ever hit 55°C max (this would be playing with everything on max)

I'm worried about the temperatures, but then again I don't have that much knowledge when it comes to computers. Can anyone elaborate on these temperatures and whether it could affect my parts?

Can I also do something about the 100% CPU usage and the FPS drops?

All drivers are completely up to date and no other games are running the background.

Please do ask if you need additional information to give better suggestions. I would be extremely grateful if someone on here would share some advice that might help my situation. Thank you in advance!

Solution

anders99dk

Commendable
Jun 7, 2018

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to help, I do appreciate it!

This is when no games are playing:
https://imgur.com/a/hynHoax

This is with Fortnite and launcher open:
https://imgur.com/a/Ku9dS0E?fbclid=IwAR3PRHHCduyESaz4wNlBrM-yyWnJqS6XpUO3V3XlrFRiga4S3CUAtdmqD5Q

I noticed it immediately goes to 70% when just opening the launcher and 100% immediately when opening the game. Could this be the thing affecting my FPS?

Once again, thank you!

That launcher looks very hungry for what it's doing, has it been updated recently, is anyone else complaining about it on the fortnight forums?

anders99dk

Commendable
Jun 7, 2018
Yeah, I noticed some people saying that the game in general was becoming increasingly unoptimized. Could that just be what it comes down to?

I'm not very tech savvy, so if you don't mind, could you clear this up for me?:

- Is the temperature worrying in general? I really do not want to harm my system
- Could this simply be on their side (The developers, high CPU usage and FPS drop) If you understand what I mean?
- I just noticed I haven't updated my motherboard for the past 3 months. Wasn't really able to previously, since I only just recently got an ethernet cable so I can download the update through the Bios now. Could this affect my performance positively?

Once again, thank you 13thmonkey, my knowledge is limited, so I appreciate a guiding hand!

Those temps are nothing to be concerned about from a safety or damage standpoint, they are merely a side effect of the usage.

Ignore what people are saying about it being unoptimised, 99%of people have no idea what they are talking about in the subject, they are using techno babble to sound important. We've proven it is the launcher and not the game.

This will be an issue with the launcher software they have deployed, it's one of those things that they will occasionally get wrong and fix in the next update for the launcher. My opinion, hold tight wait for a bit, they'll fix it, it should be using 1% not 17%.

It's not hardware related so don't bother updating the bios, there is risk in doing so and you've no need to take the risk in my opinion.

Solution

anders99dk

Commendable
Jun 7, 2018

Just good for meassure, those temps aren't high enough to even be worried about harming the system/specs.
I only really play for a couple of hours each day, so it's not like I'll be streaming my gameplay 8 hours every day of the week.

Other than that, thank you so much for helping me out today, you cleared everything up for me and made it perfectly understandable. Thank you so very much!

I have literally zero concern over those temps.