[SOLVED] High CPU usage at idle

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Hello all, coming to yall to ask of any hints or tips to get my CPU back under control. Not sure what changed, likely the cause of a windows update, but suddenly in the last few days I noticed my CPU usage was pretty high for being at idle, and is enough where it is beginning to see frame drops to an almost unplayable level in Magic Arena of all things. I've tried running nothing, turning different services off, making sure I've got latest updates, but I cannot shake this CPU usage which is starting to effect my games'

Solution
high_cpu.PNG
Chrome's hitting it for 17%, which seems heavy. Either you're running a lot of tabs open or sitting some pretty active web sites. I use Firefox that hits under 5% in most scenarios. But again it can depend on the web site you're hitting too.

You're running iCue and what looks like some optional Nvidia services. Those are things you might consider trimming out. iCue's known to be a drag on resources.
Post a list of specs/parts used...

I'd first look at displays of both HWMonitor and task manager (without Chrome open) again to see what clock speeds are when CPU usage is measured...

Then perhaps run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU for about 20 minutes, noting clock speeds across all cores and peak package/core temps....

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Close all the apps you have running and check the processes. Try to identify as many of them as you can, and consult the internet to help you to identify the ones that you can't. You may have some bloatware installed that you weren't aware of.

Chrome's hitting it for 17%, which seems heavy. Either you're running a lot of tabs open or sitting some pretty active web sites. I use Firefox that hits under 5% in most scenarios. But again it can depend on the web site you're hitting too.

You're running iCue and what looks like some optional Nvidia services. Those are things you might consider trimming out. iCue's known to be a drag on resources.

Reactions: Adam0ne
Solution

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
I've had ICue running for many months now, but I did have perhaps far too many tabs open at the time.
Had some updates today, and thing seem to be running better now although I'm still running into a different issue where audio desyncs from the video on my second monitor when im running a full screen game on the primary monitor.

Still gotta run a CPU stress test, just been one hell of a busy week.

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Post a list of specs/parts used...

I'd first look at displays of both HWMonitor and task manager (without Chrome open) again to see what clock speeds are when CPU usage is measured...

Then perhaps run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU for about 20 minutes, noting clock speeds across all cores and peak package/core temps....

GTX 1070 8g
i7 6700k
32 Gigs of RAM

clockspeeds.PNG

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Okay new now, even Resident Evil 7 at lowest settings is now at an unplayable 20 frames when just this past monday or so ago I was playing it at 144 at near max graphics at 2k resolution.

The only game i've played as of late that hasn't had dropped frames is Burning Crusade Classic

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Welp, nevermind, now WoW Burning Crusade Classic is dropping frames, a 20 year old game, when I was just running it at 144 at max literally hours ago.

Interestingly when I first loaded the game up, i opened up the GeForce Overlay in game to turn on the FPS counter, it almost had froze until I pressed Alt+Z to turn it back off, BUT, if I alt tabbed first to the Blizzard window, and THEN Alt+Z, there was no lag at all inside the GeForce Overlay