High CPU usage, computer freezing.

morgana

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005

Hello to everyone. ;)

My computer drives me mad! And I've only had it since this February and
I had to reinstall WIN XP 4 times already! The thing is: When I turn on
my comp it boots normally, it has no problems with that, clean fast
boot I'd say. And I actually manage to do some work on it for a few
minutes but then... :mad: I notice that it starts freezing up... just
little by little until it completely freezes on me and I can't even
move the mouse pointer on the screen. When I notice that it's doing it
again I open up task manager and I see no strange processes or things
that shouldn't be there, but the CPU usage is sky high (up to 90-100
%). The process that takes up most of the CPU usage is usually Firefox
or svchost.exe or explorer.exe. I don't think its a matter of spyware,
adware or viruses ( I run spyware and adware cleaners regularly and I
checked for viruses, but uninstalled the antivirus program cause it was
slowing down my comp even more). So what would you recomend I do? What
could be causing this?

Please help cause I'm really sick of rebooting the damn thing every few
minutes. :(

Thanx :)

--
Morgana

You want me to tell it to you straight? The real problem is that you need to
learn how to use your computer. Your post is full of evidence for that
conclusion: needing to reinstall the operating system 4 times in 5
months...locking up...uninstalling your antivirus program (which is just
about the worst thing you can do)...

Here's what you need to do right now:
Reinstall your antivirus program and configure it for maximum protection.
Remove all viruses and spyware. I mean every last tiny bit.
Run the Disk Cleanup Wizard (ignoring the part about compressing seldom used
files)
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."