High Cpu Usage, Help

De4thD3mon

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Hey, recently everytime i launch an application my cpu usage shoots up to about 80% usage and stays well above 40% with anything open but stays at <3% idle (i should also state that it is the .exe file that is eating up all the usage). But with the high cpu usage with any application open it's slowing down my computer alot and everything i searched has not helped whatsoever, I'm not insanely computer savvy but i know my way around somewhat, it seems like a hardware problem but my hardware seems to check out fine with all the tests i have conducted. And my cpu temp doesn't go above 50 degrees even during the huge spike. I have also run multiple virus and malware scans just to find nothing. I have updated all my drivers which there was only one and it didn't help one bit. I seriously have no clue what is going on and just want it fixed so i can get back to playing games and enjoying my computer.

i run a intel i7 920 cpu overclocked to 3.1 ghz (haven't had any problems with the overclock whatsoever)
an asus p6t board (i feel like this is causing the problem but have no solid evidence)
corsair tx 750w psu
msi twin frozr nvidia geforce gtx 570 gpu
and 12gb of corsair 1600 mhz memory (can't remember the model at the moment, also this has been starting to appear in high usage recently from the svchost.exe which after a google search is a needed process for windows)
and my cpu is water cooled by the corsair h80

Any help would be very much appreciated

And if you need any additional information you only need ask. i will do whatever it takes to get this fixed even if i do have to replace have the parts in my computer.

Solution
if your cpu usage is 65% at idle after OS reinstall, it is definitely a hardware problem. If you plan to build a new pc soon, i think you should do that first, then send your cpu and mobo for RMA to be tested by the OEM. Your parts still hold enough value to try to at least get replacement or fixed so that you can get it working for a back up secondary pc or sell the parts for cash. Either way, please don't throw away those valuable components. Good luck!

goonbar79

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
what programs have you tested your build? I would start from scratch, with basic components to make the troubleshoot simpler (set cpu clock back to default, 1 ram stick of 4gb, remove gpu if integrated is avail, 1 boot drive). I would also reinstall OS & install only the drivers needed to eliminate any OS/software/malware issue). If everything checks out, I would OC back to 3.1ghz, and retest.

De4thD3mon

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

Well i did as you said goonbar79 (minus removing the gpu) and before i reinstalled the os the cpu stayed at the same usage as when it was oc'd, and the memory would use about 1.4 -1.5 gb of memory at launch and 700 mb idle, spiking to about 1.9 in game (2 gb stick) and they all held basically the same result within 20 - 60mb)
After the reinstall of windows 7, without anything downloaded it did worse, the cpu usage being at about 65% idle, but than after installing the needed drivers and updates it held the exact same result as before, only difference is i have more free hdd space than before.
Anyways, I think i'm just gonna leave it be and see if it fixes itself with time, and i'm looking into parts for a new computer anyways, so i won't be needing this computer for that much longer.
Thanks for the help anyways, i really appreciate you trying to help me with my computer problem.

goonbar79

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
if your cpu usage is 65% at idle after OS reinstall, it is definitely a hardware problem. If you plan to build a new pc soon, i think you should do that first, then send your cpu and mobo for RMA to be tested by the OEM. Your parts still hold enough value to try to at least get replacement or fixed so that you can get it working for a back up secondary pc or sell the parts for cash. Either way, please don't throw away those valuable components. Good luck!

Solution

De4thD3mon

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

I wasn't looking to throw them away but I wasn't sure what I was gonna do with them, but I have a bud that needs a new computer and he asked me if he could buy it from me about a month ago, I told him I'm just gonna replace the motherboard first, yesterday, because I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the problem, don't want to sell him something that doesn't work that well. And if Its still acting weird I'm just gonna replace basically everything but the gpu. And send them in to be tested so I can see if the motherboard was the problem