Question High cpu usage in game

Aug 12, 2019
Hi so im getting high cpu usage (80%-100%) while playing games such as rust,fortnite,dead by daylight and gta but in gta i get (1%-10%)gpu usage only in gta i get low gpu usage but in all games i get high cpu usage.

PC Specs:
i5-9400f
GTX 1080
16 GB RAM DDR4(8x2)
240 gb ssd( System)
1 tb ssd samsung( storage for all games and other things)

Aug 12, 2019
High CPU usage can be indicative of several different problems. If a program is eating your entire processor, there's a good chance that it's not behaving properly. A Maxed out CPU is also a sign of VIRUS or ADWARE INFECTION.

1. Open Task Manager.
2.Go to Process tab and look for which process is consuming more CPU resources.
3.Click on CPU Sub coloumn. This will sort the processes based on their current CPU usage.
4. Select the offending program and click End Process.

NOTE: Many games and media editing programs will take 100% of your CPU while running. This is normal behavior, as these programs are designed to be the only thing you're using while it's running.

Also do you have any mouse input delays, if there are any you should immeadiately look for virus on your Computer.
yea i end some stuff when i wanna play games but it doesnt do that much and there is no virus in my pc i i did a full reset a few weeks ago too and there is no delay on my mouse i even downloaded the razer cortex and didnt do much too

Aug 12, 2019
That didn't answer the question. Someone else posted a thread about high CPU usage (which is normal during games) and low GPU usage in GTA V.

If it's JUST GTA V, I would suggest it's a driver issue, or you're using a cracked version which has a miner inside it.
im not using a cracked version and my drivers are fine on all games but gta and all the games have a cpu issue

im not using a cracked version and my drivers are fine on all games but gta and all the games have a cpu issue

You're running a 1080 with a 9400f which isn't exactly a powerhouse CPU. You're CPU bottle-necked, especially if you run at lower resolutions. So just about all games will likely make your little CPU work much harder. Even on 1440p my 8 thread 3770K will run in the 90% cpu utilization range or higher on a number of games.

An easy way to tell if there's a problem with your CPU is:
  1. See if it's making ratings compared to other entries on CPU benchmark sites.
  2. Or see if it's throttling (Getting hot and slowing down) The later would indicate a bad heat sink mating.
As to your GTA V performance, it still could be a driver issue or in game setting. Games are optimized in drivers on a game by game basis. There are generic settings of course, but for specific popular games, hand optimizations are packed into the drivers for that particular game by NVIDIA/AMD. However you might have a specific in game setting which causes excess CPU usage.

BTW: How are you determining GPU usage? Video card driver overlay? GPU-z? or windows task manager?

Aug 12, 2019
You're running a 1080 with a 9400f which isn't exactly a powerhouse CPU. You're CPU bottle-necked, especially if you run at lower resolutions. So just about all games will likely make your little CPU work much harder. Even on 1440p my 8 thread 3770K will run in the 90% cpu utilization range or higher on a number of games.

2. Or see if it's throttling (Getting hot and slowing down) The later would indicate a bad heat sink mating.
As to your GTA V performance, it still could be a driver issue or in game setting. Games are optimized in drivers on a game by game basis. There are generic settings of course, but for specific popular games, hand optimizations are packed into the drivers for that particular game by NVIDIA/AMD. However you might have a specific in game setting which causes excess CPU usage.

BTW: How are you determining GPU usage? Video card driver overlay? GPU-z? or windows task manager?
my cpu is always running normal and its never hot

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019

i use msi afterburner or task manager to check everything my cpu is never hot and its running very good and about the benchmarking idk what app to use to benchmark