Question High CPU Usage in some games seems unfixable

BlazingAngels

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2015
I have been having high cpu usage in some games at stock clocks on my i7 8700k, I have never overclocked the chip ever and I compared with other and I am getting completly different results. For example I am currently getting 80 to 95% cpu usage in DOOM 2016 while others are getting 30 to 40% with the exact same chip. I have tried re-imaging my pc and doing a ddu on my graphics card. Would my cpu qualify for a Intel RMA with these problems? The cpu is in perfect condition no signs of physical damage anywhere, so it might be just defective.

BlazingAngels

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2015
What gpu do you have? Some Nvidia drivers have lately had problems spiking the cpu usage up for no reason.
A Geforce RTX 2080. Also just as a note my friend has an RTX 2080 and an i7 8700k and we compared are cpu usage on DOOM with the same exact nvidia drivers and he is getting 30 - 40% average cpu usage and I am getting 80 - 95% usage. We both have the latest patch for DOOM installed.

BlazingAngels

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2015
Go into your BIOS and enable xmp so you can get higher memory frequency. It can make a huge difference in some games.
Sorry I don't overclock. It is not going to change my cpu usage, my friend and I compared benchmarks in DOOM he's getting 30-40% usage, I am getting 85 to 95% usage. That's a problem and I don't want to be under powered.

JJoner

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Sorry I don't overclock. It is not going to change my cpu usage, my friend and I compared benchmarks in DOOM he's getting 30-40% usage, I am getting 85 to 95% usage. That's a problem and I don't want to be under powered.
Does your friend have XMP enabled? Xmp only allows your RAM to run at it's intended frequency. Intel only supports 2666 so unless you enable XMP your 3200 or whatever mhz RAM will only run at 2666.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

How are you measuring usages? Run Msi Afterburner while you play. Check all 12 threads.

Check with your friend what Windows and NvidiaCP power plans he has set.

---

Ram shouldn't be the problem. I can run this game well over 100fps on ddr3 1600.

What resolution/refresh rate are you playing in?

---

Need to figure out if your cpu is running properly across all cores/threads and at rated speeds. Could be corrupt windows install or power plan related causing some of your cores to sleep.